Air Video App is awesome.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Big Dave, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I'm not affiliated with this app but I had to say that it is now my favorite app. I can serve up all my videos to my iPad without taking up any space. I haven't tried it yet outside my router but I will soon. I'm thinking of trying out the eyetv app as well. If I could watch tv on the iPad and change channels then my tv usage would definitely decrease.

2. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

I agree, it is hard to believe Apple would not include this functionality in iTunes

I have eyeTV too and it is cool to watch live TV anywhere I can get a connection

3. robinfish macrumors member

It would be worth the price of an iPad for this app alone. I can now view old VHS transfers I made years ago wirelessly on my iPad. Personal videos and things no longer available are now available to me instantly. This is a great app and easy to set up.

4. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I agree it's one of the most useful apps out there.

5. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Wow!! Thanks for posting this info. I just installed the free app and tried it out. It works great. I immediately went and bought the full app. Now I can watch all my videos without having to sync them over.

6. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Wolfpack you did the same as me. After trying the free version it was a no brainer. It saves hours of conversion and hassle. It also saves on storage space on the iPad.

7. iphone4 macrumors member

Yes, it was a "must have" app for iPhone.
    Even more so on iPad!

It is £1.79. And it's a universal app. *Everyone* should buy it.

8. Mr.Bender macrumors newbie

That will fit perfectly in my little Apple world

A mac mini hooked up on the TV with HDMI, a NAS to the Airport Express, serving all my HD content to the mini and the iPad when I don't want to get out of bed.

9. Bro0000 macrumors newbie

Perhaps other have figured this out, but Air Video does not play my DRM protected videos...any movies I have purchased from iTunes do not work on Air Video, which is the main purpose I got the app in the first place. If anyone can tell me how to stream me iTunes movies to my iPad over the 3G, please let me know if there is a way...Thank You

10. ederona macrumors newbie

Same problem about DRM protected video. :(

11. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I haven't had such good luck with this app on iPad. Loved it on iPhone (worked perfectly), unusable for me so far with my new toy.

Even when my AirPort Express is 8 feet from me and my Mac 3.5 feet from it, I still can't get it to buffer quickly, thus rendering the video streaming useless (who wants to wait around a longass time for the videos to buffer?). It SHOULD be quick and easy to watch the vids, considering how close I am to both the AirPort and Mac from where I watch, but it just refuses to load quickly enough. I might reset my AirPort and take a look at Little Snitch on my iMac, maybe those are causing the slowdowns.

Running old VHS-quality movies or 720p movies yield the same result: buffer buffer buffer for an eternity.

Until I can get it working right, I'll be sticking with the free version (I won't buy it yet) and remuxing mkv files painlessly to m4v. But yes, this app is awesome (when you get it working, not like me). :)

EDIT: After a little research, looks like I may have to tweet the bitrate settings in AirVideo...as the iPad is more bandwidth-heavy than iPhone for streaming, obviously.

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Another HUGE fan here - I tried the iPhone app out before the iPad was available and was impressed then, which convinced me that a 32GB iPad would do.
    I'm not too bothered about the DRM issue as I only have a few iTunes purchased movies, and they're all resident on the iPad, everything else I can stream.
    It's an essential purchase for the iPad IMHO!

I've never had to play with the bitrate settings at all on the iPad, either at home with the wifi two rooms away, or using a wifi hotspot when on the go... seems a little odd that it's been a problem for you, hope you figure it out to get to enjoy the app fully.