Air Video equivalent for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doju, May 14, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

With Air Video I can watch videos on other computers on my iPhone and iPad. Is there an app that allows me to accomplish the same thing but instead of iPhone and iPad on a Mac or PC?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Can't really see what your asking tbh. T your mac or pc can stream from a networked drive etc without any issues. It's also not limited by codecs like the iPhone or ipad.

3. fpnc macrumors 68000

Gav2k is correct, it's easy to share video between Macs using iTunes library sharing or even basic file sharing.

However, you can also use Mac OS X's Web Sharing feature to stream video from a Mac to an iPhone/iPad or from a Mac to another Mac. Thus, for many purposes you don't need Air Video even on an iPhone/iPad, you can just use Mac OS X's built-in Web Sharing feature. Here is a link than explains the Web Sharing feature:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=911283&highlight=

4. Grafzep macrumors newbie

I think Doju is looking for a way to easily stream to another Mac while away from the "home" network the way air video does so easily. I too have loads of movies on the home nas that I can see across 3G or a wifi connection on the iPhone, but can't find a simple way to view them on a laptop. Are we missing something obvious?

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

use zumocast. i have air video and it works great, but i mainly use zumocast now because it works just as well, and it streams music and photos. also, it's free and you can use your web browser.

6. Grafzep macrumors newbie

Why thank you Mr Kram!

Thats just the ticket, works great and dead easy.