Air Video like Soultion for Mac?

ethics101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
I have a windows PC with all my media on it. I want to be able to stream the movies from this PC to my Mac when I am away from home. Is there an air video type solution?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're talking about streaming to a Mac on your WiFi network, use Plex. I'm not aware of a method of streaming movies from your PC to another computer on the internet.

Comment

ethics101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
If you're talking about streaming to a Mac on your WiFi network, use Plex. I'm not aware of a method of streaming movies from your PC to another computer on the internet.
Yeah I've been looking at Plex. The problem is that I think it has to be in the same wifi network in order for it to work. I'm looking for a remote solution.

Comment

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I'm not an expert with Plex, so I'm sorry that I can't give a better answer than to say -- I'm sure there must be a way for Plex to access your library remotely. I would be very surprised if it turned out to be impossible.

Their iOS app can do it. I'm pretty certain I've seen discussions on their forums on how to do it with just the PC/Mac software well before their mobile apps came out.

Comment

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I'm not an expert with Plex, so I'm sorry that I can't give a better answer than to say -- I'm sure there must be a way for Plex to access your library remotely. I would be very surprised if it turned out to be impossible.

Their iOS app can do it. I'm pretty certain I've seen discussions on their forums on how to do it with just the PC/Mac software well before their mobile apps came out.
Unfortunately, to stream plex on a computer, you must be on the same network. The remote solution only works on an iOS device.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.