Air Video like Soultion for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ethics101, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ethics101 macrumors regular

I have a windows PC with all my media on it. I want to be able to stream the movies from this PC to my Mac when I am away from home. Is there an air video type solution?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're talking about streaming to a Mac on your WiFi network, use Plex. I'm not aware of a method of streaming movies from your PC to another computer on the internet.

3. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I've been looking at Plex. The problem is that I think it has to be in the same wifi network in order for it to work. I'm looking for a remote solution.

4. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'm not an expert with Plex, so I'm sorry that I can't give a better answer than to say -- I'm sure there must be a way for Plex to access your library remotely. I would be very surprised if it turned out to be impossible.

Their iOS app can do it. I'm pretty certain I've seen discussions on their forums on how to do it with just the PC/Mac software well before their mobile apps came out.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Unfortunately, to stream plex on a computer, you must be on the same network. The remote solution only works on an iOS device.

6. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Lifehacker just did an article on StreamToMe which might interest you : Link.