Air video - Mac on sleep solution?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kaelell, Jun 9, 2010.

1. kaelell macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Im liking Airvideo, and was particular interested in using the steam over the internet to an external location feature. The problem I experience however is that my Mac when it sleeps, Airvideo no longer broadcasts. I could use something like caffeine and stop it from sleeping alltogether but then theres the question of security and I rather not have anyone able to get onto my Mac whilst im out. How do other people deal with this? Can I somehow set it up so it still broadcasts but not have the mac actively logged in?

2. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Its a good suggestion to the development for this app to allow it to be a system service rather than locked to a user and running application. The issue one runs into when running the service is permissions for your media.

If you put all your media into a globally-readable shared drive or in the "Shared" folder in the /Users/Shared directory then it should work.

I suspect they didn't do this because it relies on a significant change in many people's media habits which includes keeping stuff in their directory. Most people I know who have a media server have an accessible shared drive, but that isn't the average person.

Its worth submitting a feature request to them. You can still have your account go to sleep and use the 'wake on lan activity' feature which I believe should wake up the computer when needed.

3. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your post, most insightfull. Ill give the suggestion a try.

4. JAWWC macrumors regular

AirVideo stops my mac from sleeping if "wake on network activity" is turn on. The only solution i have found is closing AirVideo and putting it to sleep. Then use a wol app, then use LogMeIn to open the AirVideo server (all other remote desktop apps won't let my mac sleep like AirVideo). Then When I'm done watching a video I have to go back to logmein and close the server so my mac can sleep.

Its a very annoying process and I'm hoping AirVideo devs get it sorted soon so my mac can sleep and just use a WOL app.

5. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Just curious, is your computer in a physically insecure place? What's the concern with leaving it awake and on with the screensaver on? I understand the general use of wishing the system functioned in a reasonable manner (and keeping it awake seems a stretch as the WOL functions 'should' work). I guess the AirVideo must keep activating the network with some polling to the access code servers for remote access and that's why it won't stay asleep.

Post back if/when you have a solution. :)

6. flipangle macrumors regular

I had this same problem a while back. What you need is a Wake-on-Lan app for iPad. The one I found that worked was RemoteTap. It is the only remote desktop application I know that has built in WOL abilities.

7. JAWWC macrumors regular

Does AirVideo server let your Mac sleep while running? Or are you on a pc?