Air Video vs. StreamToMe?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Khryz, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Got Air Video last night and it's amazing, seems like magic that it can instantly stream HD video from my computer. Very simple to use.

Then I hear people talking that StreamToMe is better -- it can stream pictures and music, not just video, but the iTunes reviews don't seem as positive as Air Video.

Anyone want to weigh in?

2. brettatk macrumors regular

I just set up Air Video earlier today. Like you I think it's awesome. I'll be curious to see what others say about StreamToMe.

3. brianm801 macrumors member

I use Air Video and love it!

Since you need a dedicated PC/MAC for Air Video why not just install iTunes on that computer and use the built in 'Home Sharing' feature to stream your music and pictures?

I take it a step farther and have 'AirPrint' installed also... Now i have a Video, Music and print server for my ipad :)

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I guess I'd stick with AirVideo.

Of course, I'm biased, since I've used AirVideo for six months or so, and it keeps on getting better. I've never tried StreamToMe.

But the additional capabilities of StreamToMe (streaming pictures and music) can be accomplished by other, IMHO better, applications. Music streaming is done flawlessly with Apple's own Homesharing and Airplay.

If I had to guess, Apple would have liked to have done something like AirVideo themselves - the ability to stream any Mac-compatible video file to your iPad. But I think Apple has to be careful about annoying content producers - movie and TV show makers - and so they are more than happy to let the maker of AirVideos do it for them.

5. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

I've tried both and I prefer SteamToMe. Never had a single issue, quality is incredible, and the speed is second to none.

How can you say that picture/music streaming are handled better by other apps when you also say you have never tried SteamToMe? Sounds biased to me. SteamToMe's picture and music streaming are the essence of perfection, there isn't a single thing I would change.

6. vw195 macrumors 6502

If one already has airvideo, you can use audiogalaxy to stream music for free.

7. EmmEff macrumors regular

iTunes needs it's video in m4v format. Air Video Server can stream MKV, DiVX, etc.

8. brianm801 macrumors member

I think you missed the part where i said Air Video for movies... and iTunes for MUSIC and PICTURES :)

9. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Resurrecting this thread.

For those that own both, which one is the best option? Does StreamtoMe play videos just as well as Air Video? Are there better options? I want to stream HD movies and photos from my PC to the iPad 3.

10. sunnyd76 macrumors newbie

Hi. I've got both and also an ipad 3. Not tested air video yet, but i've tested streamtome. AV' was good a couple of years back on iphone but I switched to STM because it supported remote video and also seemed a bit more stable. Can't speak for now, but i think they're both based on ffmpeg codecs and so would probably perform very similarly. Might test at some point as my dual core atom is struggling to decode 720p via STM

11. sunnyd76 macrumors newbie

Hmm... air video is better - video quality wise over wifi. Seems it supports internet streaming too now :)

12. tommot82 macrumors regular

Wow! didnt know apps like these even existed! Awesome thanks for pointing them out!

13. steaksauce macrumors newbie

I've used AirVideo for the last couple years, but for the last few weeks I have given StreamToMe a try, and now I wish I hadn't waited so long. The biggest difference I find is that StreamToMe is much easier on the computer your streaming from. Using either my Macbook Pro or desktop PC, my CPU would often be running at 95% while live converting and streaming content with AirVideo, whereas with StreamToMe it always seems to be below 30%, most often <5%. So from my experience, I'm have to recommend StreamToMe.