Air vs external non-Apple monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DJGuy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. DJGuy macrumors newbie

Just got a new MacBook Air at work yesterday. Transfer of files from old 12" G4 was going fine. Then we hooked it to my 23" HP monitor (which had worked fine on the 12" G4 and my previous Tibook) and tried out the wireless. Performance was incredibly slow, much slower than the G4. Thought it was the slow wireless at first, but the Activity Monitor showed that a kernel activity was using 1000% of the cpu (Yes, I realize that makes no sense)! By trial and error the tech found that disconnecting the external monitor returned things to normal speed.

We assume that this is somehow due to having a non-Apple monitor. The HP is 7 years old and I don't mind replacing it, but it was working fine. Apple monitor conspiracy, anyone?:D

2. fk51785 macrumors regular

I have 20'' ACD and have no problems using it with MBA.
    I also have 19'' Samsung LCD that I use with MBA and no problems.

3. ins0mniaque macrumors newbie

No problems here either connecting my Air to my 24" Samsung running @ 1920x1200.

Maybe it's a conspiracy against you...

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What process was using all the processor up? Is it a DVI or VGA connection?

5. mykoljay macrumors member

Runs great with my 22" Haans-G widescreen (with hdmi).. picked it up for like $180 a few months ago.

6. Alkiera macrumors regular

I have used the HDMI connection to my 19" LCD(3:4) with no problems; and it's not even a major brand.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Im hooked up to a 20" Dell Widescreen @ 1680x1050 w/ internal screen on and no problems.

8. DJGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

non-conspiracy

Thanks for all the replies!

I did a little searching, and found what my installing guy should have known--that oftentimes the external monitor interferes with wifi. So I now use a wired ethernet connection with the HP monitor, and performance is so much better! And the ethernet even works through my USB hub.

I also tried moving the Air as far from the monitor as the cables would allow, with wifi on. This did help, but not nearly enough.

I still get a fair amount of activity, hmm can't remember the name of the process, maybe mds:confused:? Which I'm guessing is either Spotlight or company backup software, or maybe both. Hopefully that will calm down soon.