Air vs iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fry42, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Fry42 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm considering getting a new computer and the MacBook Airs seem to fit my criteria. However, the current iPads are also looking quite attractive. If you could only purchase one of those devices, which one would you get? Personal insight would be greatly appreciated : )

2. lls4f macrumors regular

I love my iPad, but even with a bluetooth keyboard, it couldn't ever replace a true laptop for me. It depends on what you need from your tech device, but as a student, I use my iPad for pdf reading/annotating, taking notes, and then general use (social networks, news, weather, etc). But I wouldn't use it for photo editing, watching videos/movies for any extended period of time, or serious word processing (wouldn't ever write a paper on it, for example). If I could only have one, it would be the Air, and I'd save up for the iPad for a fun and useful complement to the Air.

3. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

I'm thinking about replacing my iPad 3 and Mac Mini with a 2012 MBA. But would that be kinda stupid to consolidate to 1 device? I sure wish the MBA had the same battery life as the iPad!

4. rygamble macrumors regular

Still has a better battery life than a Mac Mini :D

5. 07dodge macrumors member

I agree, iPad is great, but it can't replace a laptop. There's just some things you can't do on it, or can't do as easily, as you can on a laptop.

Mobility, hands down goes to the iPad. And in all of 5 seconds, you've waken it up, typed in your password, and are on the internet searching. I've never had a computer that quick (although the Air sounds pretty quick, I've never actually played with one).

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

As someone who has had all 3 iPad generations, the MacBook Air is more useful and would definitely be my pick.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

It depends on what you want. I would get the iPad if I could only choose one. I am a lecturer/graduate student at university, and I want something I can read, do handwriting, and type on (I have an external keyboard). The iPad is fabulous. And, when I need heavy lifting, I just sync to the cloud and borrow a school computer to do the work. So, 90% on the iPad and 10% on the computer. In fact, though, I have both the iPad and MBA, so I am free to do whatever I want :)

If you don't have access to a computer, then the iPad is a poor choice. I love it, and I often write on these forums about how great it is for getting stuff done, but it is not a replacement for a computer yet.

8. EthanMiller macrumors member

My biggest beef with the iPad over a laptop is lack of organization of files. I don't need a filesystem and to poke around in /usr/bin and all that, but being able to look at things without thinking about what App trapped it first would be nice.

IMO, the two things iPad has over the Air are the touchscreen and Flipboard. The touchscreen opens some possibilities. The iPad is great for reading, and Flipboard sort of epitomizes that (there is no Flipboard for Mac, though I wish there were. It's a great piece of software).

If you need a computer, go with the Air. There are just enough things that the iPad can't do yet. You never know when you're going to need to print to a non-AirPrint-compatible printer, or use Flash for something you just can't do without.

If you would rather a piece for relaxation and use at home, have an old computer that can be used occasionally, and have a nice computer at work that you use all day, then the iPad might be a good choice for you.

Also, don't forget Apple has a 14 day return policy. You can pick up an iPad, use it for a week and return it, get an Air, use it for a week, and then decide having seen how they both fit into your use pattern.

Depends on what you want. If the Mac Mini isn't cutting it any more, and you find yourself wanting more power and options on the go, then switching makes sense.

Consolidation makes finding things easier; you don't have to remember if that tab was open on the iPad or the Mini. That said, with 10.8 and iOS 6, you don't have to either.

9. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Ha ha ha! Very true!

My Mini is a bit more powerful than the 2012 MBA, and with ML and iOS 6 they will tie in nicely. But that Air sure is a sweet machine!

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think it really depends on what your uses are. What do you do everyday on one of these machines? For some people an iPad can't replace a computer, and those responses won't help you.