Air vs pro for a high school student?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jdstew1234, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

Hi, I can't decide what to do. I am a teenager in high school and I have a 24'' iMac with c2d 2.66 processor and an iPad. I have found that I need a laptop for my job and vacation ( we go for about a month and my parents have a horrible 5 year old pc) I would probably use the laptop for media playback surfing the web. Video editing in iMovie. Possibly abelton. Photoshop. And regular software like office. I probably will use bootcamp too for some school programs for my programming class. I have about $1000. I would like to get one by the end of January but can wait till may ( not happily). So what do you think.

2. Mac Composer macrumors member

I think it's up to you. If you need one now, you buy now. If you wait 'til May, you'll probably have upgraded models to choose from. Your choice.

3. Jdstew1234, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010

Jdstew1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Common sense is telling me to wait but I have been saving for over a year. It's just difficult to decide

I can buy laptop around January and I can't decide if I should buy the MBA or mbp. Both 13''. Should I wait for the mbp update. I don't really need a SuperDrive so that isn't a problem. I am a high school student

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I purchased both my kids a 2010 MBP 13inch. They love them. I have a MBA 13" ultimate and it works well for what I use it for.

5. Jdstew1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Does they slow down when using more than 4 applications?

6. steiney macrumors 6502

Pro!!!

I would definitely get the MBP, unless you really want unnecessary thinness. You get so much more speed and power for your money with the MBP.

7. kdoug, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Both my MBP's have 8GB of memory so multiple running programs isn't a factor. If you but a MBP get it with the base 4GB memory and upgrade it through NewEgg for less than $125.
    THe MBA runs circles around the MBP's though. It's really fast.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If the fact that you mentioned being a high school student implied you are money conscious, then you should get a Macbook. It'll be more than sufficient for your needs in the next 3+ years.

9. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

Really?

10. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Fixed it......

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Depends on what type of user you are.

If you're someone that's regularly maxing out the processor (converting/rendering video, for example), then yes, the MBP has a faster processor and is probably the best choice. It will finish processor intensive tasks faster than the Air.

However, If you're someone that only occasionally runs processor-intensive apps, and instead spend most of your time using Mail, Safari, iTunes, iChat, Microsoft Office/iWork instead, the solid-state drives that the Airs come standard with make the Air seem leaps and bounds faster than the MacBook Pro.

I just went from using an 2.66GHz i7 MBP to a 2.13 Core2Duo Air. Couldn't be happier.

12. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Either would likely serve you well.

The average person would likely be better served with the MBP due to it's lower cost, faster processor, better battery life, richer feature set, and greater expandability.

But if mobility is of significant importance to you the faster general feel but more limited feature set and expandability would be worth considering for routine use. If mobility was of extreme importance, the 11.6 inch version with even more compromises in favor of mobility might be worth considering.

If I could only have one computer it would be a 13" MBP 2.66/8/7k500. Best combination of price, performance, battery life, power, capacity, and portability to my mind.

Mobility is a bigger concern fo me and I am not limited to one computer so I've made difference choices. Everyones needs and priorities are a little different so you ultimately have to roll the dice and try something for yourself.

13. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think... Need it now? Buy it. You can wait? Then wait.

Even if you don't like the update refurb/ remainig 2010s will be avaliable at lower costs

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

If you waited this long I say you wait until May. Not just for the refresh but for the back to school promo. Free iPod which you can then sell off (or keep). ;) Along with the student discount, its a steal!

15. EARL97850 macrumors member

I don't get it...you're on a "AIR" forum putting down and advising against "unnecessary thinness"?

Giving advise to the original poster about his potential purchase is one thing but you are persuading against the one most desirable feature that puts the MBA in almost a league of it's own...portability in up most light convenience.

If the MBA is not right for your own use and the MBP is then just say so and list the reasons of why you chose one over the other.

Cya

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, some folks use the "Forum Spy" or "New Posts" links, both of which bring up posts from all forums. It's not difficult to to get into a thread and not notice which forum the OP was posted in. :eek:

17. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

18. EARL97850 macrumors member

I guess some folks just check to see exactly what their posting in,on, or about before they post with out knowing...my bad.

Sorry

Cya

19. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

With $1000 you can buy a MB. Save up some more and go for the new MBP line.
    Just cart your iMac on vacation with you :D

20. jlw2387 macrumors member

Does it start in May? I bought mine in early July and got the discount. Anyway, my vote if for the OP to just wait until the refresh.

21. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Please explain speed and power. A HS student on a budget would be well served with a 2.4 or 2.6GHz MBP. In terms of speed, it isn't even close, MBA wins. Now if he or she we're to equip it with an SSD than that's another story. I doubt they want to spend over $2,000 though.
    Try to be a little more objective.

22. Jdstew1234, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010

Jdstew1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Starts at the end of may

I have a job that pays $9 an hour so I can go up to $2000 if necessary for a powerful machine that will last

I will use it for Photoshop abelton and office. I do have to carry it around with a backpack that weighs aroun 10 lbs (I know it seems like a lot but that's a college prep for you). So weight is a factor.

23. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Im also a high school student who has had experience with both laptops. I previously owned a 2009 MBP 13 that I carried to school. Lets just say it was less then a happy experience 4.5lbs plus 10lbs of books. Now I own a baseline 13 MBA and am loving it! You may not think 1.5lbs makes a difference but it does! I use my MBA for my engineering class and it runs circles around what my pervious pro could do. So my advise is get a MBA. If you want it to last 2-3yrs I suggest getting 4gb of ram though, 2gb is fine for what I use it for but I don't plan on keeping it more then a yr or 2.

24. dmelgar macrumors 68000

If youre getting it not as a replacement, and like the 13" size, then I'd lean towards the 13" MBA as the best value for the money. The SSD makes it faster in everyday use.

The MBP provides more expandability. Can get 8GB RAM and could replace the drive with an SSD. But then you're talking lots more money than the MBA.

The 13" MBA doesn't feel much more portable to me than the 13" MBP. If you want portability, don't overlook the 11" MBA. Its almost as powerful and much more portable. But with a smaller display, less battery life (still good).

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your job pays you $9/hr and you can buy a $2000 notebook computer? You must be living at home. ;). At any rate you will get more bang for your buck with the Macbook Pro. The Air is a thin and light and that's as much as you're going to get with it for the most part.