Air vs Pro w/ retina - for GoPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JeppeTarp, Oct 29, 2014.

1. JeppeTarp macrumors newbie

Hi, so im going to be purchasing a new macbook one f the following days. However i'm in much doubt which one I should buy. I will be using it mostly for school (running parallels) and for editing my GoPro videos.

I cannot decide between the 1,7ghz i7 Macbook Air, with 500gb storage and 8gb RAM or the 2,8 ghz i5 Macbook Pro, with 500gb flash storage and 16gb RAM.

I've heard rumours that the Macbook Air is actually almost as good as the Pro, despite the much cheaper price. Also the 12 hour battery is quite a big plus for me. I'm just wondering if it will be performing choppy when editing videos?

Is it worth upgrading the Macbook Pro to the 3,0 ghz i7 processor?

Thanks for helping :)

2. MFGRC macrumors newbie

For what you need, I'd recommend the macbook pro retina, I have the model you're referring to and I have a go pro. The BIG difference between the MBA and the rMBP is that the rMBP has 2gb video card which will come in handy with that video editing along with the extra ram, you also can't go past the beautiful display! The trade off is the MBA will be a lot lighter but you're future proofing yourself with the rMBP.

cheers

3. rmackner macrumors member

We need to know what software you use to edit videos and the resolution of the videos that you are editing. If it's simple 720p or 1080p stuff the air will be fine.

4. JeppeTarp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

I will probably be shooting mostly in 2,7K and I will be using Final Cut X and Adobe After Effects for editing.

@MFGRC - the 2gb video card your referring to, is this the built-in "Intel Iris Graphics" or an additional option?

Also would it be worth upgrading to the i7 processor? :)

5. rmackner macrumors member

Anything above 1080p I would suggest the MBP and the 2gb card is in the high end 15" rMBP. The i7 hyper threading would be very helpful for video editing and so would a SSD.

6. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I own an "ultimate" 2013 MBA and have also owned an "ultimate" 2013 13" rMBP.

I'd second the thought that you will likely be disappointed in the performance of both machines for your specified purpose. The 15" rMBP will meet your needs; from my own experience, the 13" will not. The graphics card and the punch from the QC i7 will make for an enjoyable experience; anything less will be rather frustrating.

7. JeppeTarp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm very dissappointed to hear that. Unfortunately I feel a 15" is too large to carry around.. Maybe I'll just start Shooting in 1080p instead :)

8. rmackner macrumors member

I'm sure you can get by with the onboard graphics if it's just a hobby. But if you're making a living off this machine then I would definitely get the 15" with the GPU.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

While a 15" is probably better suited, there is plenty of folks out there editing video on a 13" rmbp or mba. The only real disadvantage will be when rendering or analyzing footage. You have to be more patient with that. I also find the 15" too large for traveling.

10. JeppeTarp thread starter macrumors newbie

So now the only thing missing is whether i should go for the i5 or the i7 processor

11. BrooklynNoise macrumors newbie

Updated Macbook Pro and Air

Now that the Macbook Pro and Air were updated, do you all still agree that the rMBP is the way to go for editing GoPro video?

I currently own a 13-inch, Mid 2012 Macbook Air with a 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache, 8gb of memory and 256GB flash storage. I found I was getting some skipping when playing GoPro videos. GoPro's website states that:

"For higher resolution videos (1080p 60fps and higher): We recommend at least 3.0 – 3.7 GHz Ivy Bridge processors (third-generation Core-based processors or AMD equivalent), 4 GB RAM, and a graphics card comparable to an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. The graphics card and processor speed is important particulary for 4K and 2.7K resolution video playback."

I want to upgrade my laptop to try to correct this skipping issue and also because I am maxing out on internal memory. I prefer the Macbook Air portability but the rMBP might seem like a wiser decision (both at 13").

the three machines I am looking at are:

13" rMBP - 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz (Intel Iris Graphics 6100)
    13" rMBP upgrade - 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz (Intel Iris Graphics 6100)
    13" MB Air - 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz (Intel HD Graphics 6000)

Do any of these machines fit the bill for what GoPro recommends?

I really get confused when it comes to the speed as to the significance of the type of chipsets used and the Ghz that they tout. Any help deciphering this madness would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

12. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

The reason why it's skipping is because the hardware (HD4000) didn't have enough horsepower to play it back natively. You can actually still play it back with no skipping once you have the file rendered. So you would edit the clips in the timeline then render it and then play it back make your changes if you need to and then re-render.

Other than that, all of the CPUs are the same, they're of the same family and they have the same number cores. The only major difference is the clocking. It should be able to play the footage natively without rendering, however, if you're serious about editing I would always advise getting at least a quad-core CPU w/ hyperthreading with a d-GPU because the second you start adding color correction or slowing down the speed of the clips for slowmotion it'll require you to render your footage and none of these choices will be able to do it natively.

I use to try and edit w/ a laptop (I have a rMBP 15) and found it useless and opted to build a PC and I've been able to edit up to 4k footage with no problem and rendering effects and rendering have completely demolished anything I've seen on a laptop.

So in short, you can stick with your current laptop and just opt to render the files for smooth playback (with the downfall of a longer workflow).

Or if you're hard set on wanting to get a new laptop then yes any of those 3 will fit the bill in terms of play back but the second you start adding color correction and such you'll just end up with choppy play back until rendered (which is why I advise just sticking to your laptop right now).

Or you can keep your current laptop and use the money to build a PC so you can upload footage on your current laptop for on the go light editing and then have the PC for the heavy lifting work.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Go for the fastest one you can afford.