Air vs Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazawaza, Nov 10, 2012.

1. hazawaza macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new macbook but what should I choose?
    Macbook air 13" 2012 vs Macbook pro 13" 2012 (both the baseline models)

I need this laptop to last me 4 years throughout University. My main uses are the usual web browsing and essays but also sometimes gaming (minecraft) and some video editing like once every 3 months.

Who knows, I may want to start playing a new game that comes out in 2014. I want the laptop that will be able to last a while. With the pro I upgrade the ram and the Battery. That's pretty important for me because the battery may need replacing after 2-3 years. I might have to take it to Uni sometimes but I don't mind the weight of the pro. The air is much lighter and has an ssd but I can put one in the pro later.

The screen on the air is higher res. but the pro has a higher colour gamut so that sort of cancels out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the MBP given the expandability options that MBP affords you. Memory, storage upgrades. Better processor and GPU and screen probably doesn't hurt either.

The MBA is great for an ultra portable computer but the MBP offers more power and expandability

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It doesn't have a better GPU. Better screen is a matter of opinion - better colour gamut, but lower resolution.

Memory, of course, can simply be purchased at purchase time.

Neither one is likely to do a great job on games released in 2014.

4. hazawaza thread starter macrumors newbie

It does have a better GPU because the ULV processor on the air underclocks the GPU so it is not being used to it's full potential.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

From what you wrote, specifically that you want it to last 4 years, the Pro is the better choice. The MBP allows you to grow it - specifically RAM and storage - while the Air is a closed system. The Pro is also faster and a better value.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The Pro is clearly the better option, for many of the reasons listed above.

If you are at all interested in playing games that could be considered demanding, you'll want the 15" Pro, since it has a dedicated GPU. Since the 15" Pros also have quad-core processors, they'll last longer in terms of relevant processor power.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I really like the 13" Pro, feels solid. I also love the Air, but if you're talking about any kind of upgradability, I don't know why you're even considering the Air.

8. cire1244 macrumors regular

I have/had a similar dilemma- I'm going to pick up a 13" MBP today, and feeling good about it!

9. robvas macrumors 68020