Air with 128 SSD and i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rasan, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Rasan macrumors member

Hey,

i am planning to buy an 2011 13" MBA for college use. While configuring it on the Apple store i noticed that there is an i7 option for the 256 SSD, but not for the 128. Is there any way to get an 128 GB version with i7? The processor upgrade is very cheap, but the SSD upgrade is not affordable for me. The 128 MBA would cost me about 1170€, the 256 with i7 about 1500 €.

I don't really need the extra HD space as i have plenty on my Imac and external drives, but i'm afraid the i5 could be to slow for my needs. How do the i5 and i7 compare performance wise, is it a big difference?

I will do some programming, audio recording with logic (as soon as a TB-Firewire adapter is out), designing (Adobe and Macromedia programs), some 3d modeling and animation and office stuff. I will use the MB at college, at home i have a 27" 2011 Imac.

Will the base 13" with i5 be enough for my needs? Should i consider a MBP instead?

For the best mix of portability and comfort i absolutely want a 13", no 15" or 11".

Thanks for your answers.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

The 11 comes with this option , but not the 13 for some reason.

Easy enough. Just go to the online Apple store and see.

3. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answers.

If you have read my post, you would know ive already done that. I just wanted to know if there was another way to get it custom build, as the two machines are similar except for the SSD, arent they?

Any input on my other questions?

Thanks.

4. erasr macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a way at all. You would need to go with the 256GB.

If you do, bear in mind the re-sale value of this model would be better in the future if and when you sell, compared to 128GB.

And to your other question, I would say the i5 is fine. It's more powerful and faster than my 2010 MBP.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, if it's not on the Apple store then how would you do it? They don't offer this option in the store. They basically want you to pay the extra money to get it.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, there is not. :apple:

7. KPOM macrumors G5

In the 13" model, the difference in CPU performance between the i5 and i7 is only about 7-10%. It's 20-25% in the 11" model. The only way to get an i7 with 128GB SSD is to purchase the 11" model.

8. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your answers.

If the performance difference is that small, i will go for the i5 128 GB Model. I also heard the battery is a little bit better for the i5, but many say there is no difference.

Doesn't matter, going to the Apple store today :) hope they have one in stock.

Thank you all for your help.

9. archangelg macrumors newbie

Not sure if you bought it or not yet...

Each 11" or 13" model comes at two 'stock' levels. You can only upgrade to the i7 from the higher stock model. Thus, the reason the 11" 128 GB i5 model can be upgraded to the i7 is because it is already at the higher level while the 13" 128 GB i5 model is the lower version.

I was debating between i5 vs. i7 on an 11" one before eventually deciding to get the i5 one - the people on this forum were very helpful in assisting in this decision. One thing to consider is that one can't really 'notice' a difference unless you purchase both an i5 and an i7 and run similar applications to compare between the two. While review sites have demonstrated the difference in regards to performance, temperature, time, etc. (because they have the general means), many people will not due to circumstances (such as me).

Some here say to go for the i7 while others will say you'll be fine with the i5. I think, as with many things, it depends on your needs and how much you value the extra potential performance while spending the extra amount of money.