Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Hi,
does anyone have any experience with using (still) the recent ipad Air (2013) with old Linksys' old wifi boxes?
I'm using WRT54GP2 only because it's the only box I have which supports wake-on-wan. All my other boxes have ISP-specific firmwares were wake-on-wan is disabled.

WRT54GP2 used to work okay with my old "New ipad" and it's fine with 4s and both old windoz laptop and macbook (2009).

I've tried to randomly find matching settings but no luck so far. There aren't so many things to fiddle with:
Basic Rates:
Control TX Rate:
Preamble Type:
Authentication Type:
CTS Protection Mode:
Beacon Interval: (msec, range: 1~65535, *100)
DTIM Interval: (range: 1~255, *1)
Fragmentation Threshold: (range: 256~2346, *2346)
RTS Threshold: (range: 256~2432, *2432)
So far, I haven't changed the numeric values from defaults and it seems that any combination of the first 4 settings does not help.
Now it takes a reaaally long time for Air to connect and 9 times out of 10 it fails after all. Then when the connection is made, there's still no internet or it is again reaaally slow.
Any ideas?
(I'd like to wait for new airportExpress before buying a new box...)

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
I've had the Linksys WRG54GL since setting up my network (a long time) and used my 3 and my Air with it without a single problem. Ever. Everything is hard wired except one original Roku in the basement that is wireless but that works fine, too. I am using TWC Roadrunner 50.00 plan (not sure what that speed is) but the Air works great with it with the occasional hang up but I think that is TW's end, not the router. Been very happy with it. I'm not a big techie guy but it was easy to set up and problem free. Hope this helps.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Found out the problem. The old PSU had got tired and instead of feeding the right 12 V to the box, it was pumping 16 V!
Changed it to another and the old box works rock solid once again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.