AirBook vs. MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexglee, Nov 2, 2008.

1. alexglee macrumors regular

alexglee

Before you respond, please read what I use it for:

- iPhoto 50GB library
    I just have lots of pictures and I create events for each social event. Thousands of pictures

- iTunes 15GB
    Just keep the songs I like

- iMovie
    I do some minor editing once every few months

- Internet
    - Chatting (including video chat)
    - no games
    - optical drive required very seldom.

Portability is an issue for me. The more portable it is, the more I will use it.

I have a flickr account to upload full res pictures so technically I only need to keep a smaller version. Does anyone know of a tool that can batch this? I have an external hard drive to store iPhoto backups and time machine to do that jazz.

Do you guys think the AirBook will be powerful enough? If anyone can provide good back up strategies, that would be great!

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yep, it'll definitely be powerful enough. Storage might seem an issue but you could always get an external hard drive or store most of your stuff in the cloud.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I posted a thread and poll the other day called Glassbook vs. Air asking essentially the same question though I am leaning more towards the MacBook than the Air. It has a poll and right now the votes are 12 - 3 in favor of the MacBook but I had different pros and cons to them and different criteria that I was looking at.

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

From what you're looking to do, it looks like the Air will be powerful enough. My only questions would be regarding how long you're looking to keep this for, what your budget is, and how important portability is to you. Assuming portability isn't your top priority (which I'm assuming it is, since it wasn't in your original post), I think your best bet is the MacBook. You'll get more storage, a faster processor, and a better graphics card for less money (while sacrificing portability and a slight dip in screen quality (supposedly)). I'd go with the MacBook, and a 500GB Time Capsule for backup, and to take advantage of the MacBook's 802.11n wireless capability.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Actually both the MB and MBA now have the same graphics card - a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The MB is 4.5 lbs. That is plenty portable and much cheaper.

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I would choose the MacBook because besides having more power and storage, you can also replace parts like battery and HD yourself.

8. deadkenny macrumors regular

If you can bear 2GB RAM / 120GB HD and price is not so much an issue go for the MacBook Air - it's much sexier.
    Otherwise the MacBook will serve you better, e.G. if you use virtualization or have other needs for more than 2GB of RAM or such a large amount of storage.
    I would transfer it to a wireless network harddrive. You can access it at home and while you are on the way you have your iPod.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you got that many files now, you'll probably have more three years from now. The MacBook is much more future-proof and expandable than the MBA.

Even though I have an MBA myself, and LOVE it, I rarely recommend the MBA for someone as a primary computer. Unless you keep a very small profile (don't take a lot of pics/videos, don't use high-powered apps), the MBA is probably not for you. There are some ways to get around this (time capsule, etc.), but the simpler solution is to just get a MacBook.

10. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If I were you I would go for the mba (and if I would have the money), and for storage I would use timecapsule.

11. alexglee thread starter macrumors regular

alexglee

I get that there is a limit on size for the HD. I am not a fan of the new trackpad. I find the click really awkward and difficult to use. Perhaps my standards are different, but I think the MacBook is heavy. I would not want to carry this around all day.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree with you in many respects. But your plan of uploading 50 GB to Flickr doesn't seem practical. They have a 100 MB/month limit. Unless you get some sort of external HD, I don't see the MBA as a reasonable solution for your needs. An MBA plus a Time Capsule could be the best answer for you don't like the MacBook.

13. alexglee thread starter macrumors regular

alexglee

i don't have an upload limit when them. 24 bucks a year for unlimited/unlimited/unlimited. It's all uploaded already, so now it's only the new pictures I upload. Flickr seems very practical to me, but it only holds pictures. I would like to stay away from external hard drive. The less peripherals, the better! Time machine does work though!

14. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

do you normally upload on the go or are you tied to an ethernet connection?...may not be a big deal but the air doesn't have an ethernet port

personally i would get a new macbook...you're only saving yourself a pound and a half and you can get a huge HD in it an not have to worry about space like you would with the Air.

15. alexglee thread starter macrumors regular

alexglee

No ethernet for me. I just decided to cancel my internet at home. It is intermittent and continually cuts out. Furthermore, the tethering on my phone is more reliable. Can you imagine that?!

I thank you all for your contributions. I just looked at the MacBook and decided that, while it is a good all-in-one solution, it's weight is a major contributing factor for me to go AirBook.

I have not commited to purchasing the AirBook yet as it will be weeks before the local retailer will have them. I do wish they kept the old box in black. The white is so... unsightly to me.

I look forward to any further contributions. Who knows, I may still change my mind and go Mac Pro - shock horror!

16. jade macrumors 6502

+1 You'll also have huger hard drives available sooner. 500GB today.....
    There is weight difference, but if it is note your everyday all day companion you should be fine.

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

Don't forget that the screen in the Macbook Air is much nicer as well.

18. alexglee thread starter macrumors regular

alexglee

Everyone keeps mentioning that the screen is better. Are they really? I found the macbook screens to be kind of blurry.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What do you know? That's impressive. It's actually hard to find a link to that on Flickr's site. You'd think they'd be pushing more people to subscribe.

In that case, if you don't need to store everything on your computer, that just might work. Whatever decision you make, I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase! It's definitely an amazing feeling to have all that computing power in such a tiny package.

P.S. The screen is definitely much better!

20. alexglee thread starter macrumors regular

alexglee

I think the Flickr account is fantastic. You saw it! It is what it is and does what it says. I priced all other options and this was the most cost effective. Spent 100 bucks and with the bonus 3 months, it expires in the next decade.

I was thinking I could still store a copy of my pictures in (reduced file sizes, not 12MP) in iPhoto. I bet that my library would shrink from 60 GB to about 20GB in no time flat. Know any good shrinking utilities?

I can upload the full size and keep a copy on an external HD for the safe.

Photos really are my biggest deal. You can't get them back once you lose them. Music you can just re-rip them.

Ports, I'm not needing ports so much. I might get a bluetooth mouse, but I do like the AirBook trackpad. The new one... I don't like the click. I find that I just turn on the one touch click instead of using the physical click. I tried highlighting and it was an interesting sensation, to say the least. The trackpad was not very smooth because of the force you have to apply on it to physically click. I feel that it could be accomplished with less weight. Perhaps this is an adjustable thing that Apple could look at in the future.

I found the power plug in the MacBook to be less refined than the air. The AirBook just exudes classiness, while the MacBook just merely has its foot in the pond. I know this statement will anger most, so let me qualify it by saying that this is just my opinion. I know plenty out there love the new MacBooks and I respect that.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lol wow are you serious? the box? are you going to carry the computer around in the box?

22. alexglee thread starter macrumors regular

alexglee

Yuppers! I am about the whole product including packaging because that's what gives the total experience. I feel that the new box has more of a budget in mind. I don't carry it around in the box, which is why the lack of handles from the AirBook Rev A gets more raves from moi :D

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

A quick search (not sure that link will work -- do a forum search for "batch photo resize") reveals quite a few threads about this. Automator/Graphic Converter seems to be the most common suggestion.