AirDisk + Wired connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Craftypenguin, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Craftypenguin macrumors newbie

Hello-

I apologize if this has been addressed before, I can't seem to find the topic, if it was...

I have an AirDisk hooked up to my AirPort Extreme, housing photos, movies, other documents etc. The main purpose of my set up is to avoid having to jack into the drive, obviously; but I am hampered by the data transfer rate. The hard drive is on my desk, along with my AirPort Extreme, and I am wondering if it is possible to hook up a hub to the Extreme, plug the Disk into the hub and run another USB cable to my laptop for the purposes of bypassing the AirDisk (i.e. not accessing the disk via WiFi,) but rather via the USB cable.

I'd just try it out, but I'm not at home, so I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone has had luck with this (or a better) set up.

Thanks.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can unplug the disk from the AirPort Extreme and plug it into your computer via USB. Can't have it plugged into both at once though.

If you're near enough to plug in though, try plugging your computer into the AirPort Extreme via Ethernet. Your data transfer rate over gigabit Ethernet is going to be WAY better than wifi.