AirDisk with Mac=problem, with Windows=no problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NDLaHam, Nov 29, 2007.

1. NDLaHam macrumors newbie

NDLaHam

Ok this is really, really frustrating me. Hopefully someone can help.

I use an old 60GB iPod Photo in disk mode for an AirDisk hooked up to my AEBS. It works great, I can get/put my files on it from all my computers in the house. - 2 older Windows XP laptops and a 2.16 GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro, with 1 GB RAM. The main point is the mac blows the PCs away.

To state the problem:

I store DivX TV shows on the iPod (200MB a show) and whenever the 2 PCs play these files over Wi-Fi, everything is good and dandy. It seems to stream great right over the network. (By the way, everything on the network is 802.11g, so theoretically it should be able to stream these files)

When I watch them with my Mac, which is the more important matter, the show comes up in quicktime using VLC's DivX Codec, plays for 2 seconds, then pauses/freezes like it is trying to stream. It trys to continue and sometimes I will get another little 1 or 2 seconds out of it, but it pretty much locks up. The program doesn't lock up, but usually causes it to slow down so badly I force quit. This happened when I was running Tiger, and now after the Leopard upgrade (I was hoping Leopard would fix it).

Also a side note: I play music wireless through an AirPort Express. The 2 PCs do it fine. When I use my Mac, the music will break up and pause and start every 10 seconds or so. MP3's should have no problem. This sounds like it could be related.

I am so bummed out because I have all this Apple equipment that is supposed to work "seamlessly" together and the Mac is the one having the problems.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. err404 macrumors 68020

The AEBS works as just a simple file server, not a media streamer. It is also VERY slow. It sounds like when Quicktime is reading the file, it does not have sufficient bandwidth to play back smoothly. This is probably due to how Quicktime is reading the file vs how your windows machines are. You could try using VLC, but that's not going to correct the root of the problem.
    With my AEBS I was usually able to watch a show on one device, but it almost always failed if i tried two at the same time. In the end I just attached the disks to a PC that is on 24/7 and created a share from their (all of my MACs are laptops). This improved performance by about 10 fold and I have not had issues since. Unfortunately you loose the AIRDISk showing up automatically.
    In the end the AEBS is a very poor file server and should only be used for small docs or where speed is not a factor. At least it works as a print server.