AirDisks - only certain drives usable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZMacintosh, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Hello, I'm trying to figure out if the AirPort Extreme Base Station N is unable to handle certain harddrives?

My hard drive is:
    HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A35155) 1TB

which i found to be used in the 1TB Time Capsule unit..so i assume it should work properly on the AirPort.

Anyway i tried two enclosures to test..One (a rosewill) automatically disconnects my AEBSn and just flashes orange.
    The second enclosure (Icydock) works, im able to acces the drive for a roughly 5~20minutes before sometimes it times out after that time.

Now i can put the drive inside my macpro and it works and doesnt sleep or time out randomly.
    I hook it up with BOTH enclosures to all my machines and it works just solidly fine.

but for some reason the AEBSn is rejecting this...

For testing purposes, I placed a FAT32 formatted 750Gb drive (Western Digital 7500AAKS) drive in both enclosures and it works absolutely fine.
    both enclosures are SATA II (3Gbps) standard as are both drives)

could there be any cause for why this is?
    ive tried a dozen USB cables etc etc.

the drive is formatted to FAT32 for both MacOSX and Windows accessibility.

thanks!

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

did you use a powered enclosure, or just USB power?

3. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Open Airport Utility (located in Application folder/Utilities folder) and click on manual setup, then click on the "disks" tab. Do you see your HD connected to your AEBS?

4. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I should have mentioned, that Yes both drives regardless of enclosure are seen in the AirDisk utility menu...even when unaccessible in finder by any User Admin or standard on my account or Windows.

both enclosures are Powered to an outlet

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I believe the disk has to be HFS+ for the Airport to share it out.

I've tested this by placing one of my drives in as FAT32 and the Airport sees it from the disk tab but won't share it out until I format it as HFS+.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I don't think this is true, I just bought a WD MyBook which came as a FAT32 (I believe) and plugged it in. I was good to go. :confused:

7. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Precisely. because I JUST replaced a 500GB Western Digital MyBook since i was running out of space on that and the Hitachi since i noticed was used by the TimeCapsule figured it should be just as compatible.

and the MyBook was fat32 - the only way windows/osx can share (read/write)

(and i dont believe it should matter though, but i formatted it under OSX to FAT32...it shouldnt make a difference if it was formatted that way under whatever OS correct?)

**edit**

I also noticed, it cuts out/disconnects aswell when trying to play a ripped DVD in the DVD Player app or VLC)
    when using my MyBook 500 it was never an issue, itunes streams fine as does other video files, its just it seems DVD rips lag and cause it to go haywire.