Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Since I've upgraded to iOS 14 if someone sends me a pdf via AirDrop it is automatically opened on the Outlook app as an attachment on an outgoing email. Is there anyway to change the default file association so this doesn't happen?

snogs

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2019
Same but drive (deleted) and evernote (deleted). Should I just throw the whole phone out or keep deleting otherwise useful apps?

snogs

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2019
This is really unfortunate. I installed Voice Recorder Pro and same thing.

pja2536

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
dtuck90 and snogs,

My wife has exactly the same problem with BOTH her iPhone XR and iPad Pro 9.7.

On the iPad, if I Airdrop a PDF file to her device she sees the "Accept/Decline" dialog. When she selects "Accept" the PDF automatically opens in the Kindle app!

On her iPhone pressing "Accept" opens the PDF document in the Epson iPrint app (Kindle is not installed on the iPhone and Epson iPrint is not installed on the iPad).

Now if these apps are deleted from the respective device then pressing "Accept" brings up the normal Airdrop menu (see below).

I have reported the issue to Apple and it has now been escalated to Cupatino (I believe). I will post any outcome here when I get it.

I do have a temporary fix!

During testing with a senior Apple support person (thank you Trixy for your great help ???) I was reinstalling the Kindle app; I noticed that the Apple Books app was adjacent to the Kindle app so I downloaded it as well.

With BOTH the Kindle AND Books apps installed pressing "Accept" produces the normal Airdrop menu (see below). This is NOT an ideal fix BUT it does work.

By the way, with both Kindle and Books apps installed, I deleted the Kindle app. Re-Airdroping the PDF file and pressing "Accept" causes the PDF document to be opened in the BOOKS APP! So you need BOTH apps installed.

Actually, you need TWO or more apps that can read PDF documents.

I hope this helps. I'll keep you informed, Apple Tech are due to get back to me early next week.

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• Airdrop.PNG
    Airdrop.PNG
    949.5 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: snogs

pja2536

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia

I have had a response from Apple and it has solved the problem!

Go to "Settings" -> "Reset" and select "Reset AllSettings"

Once the iPad/iPhone restarts AirDrop functions correctly.

I hope that helps,
Peter

Reactions: snogs

snogs

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2019
Meant to say thanks for the other solution, totally worked. That second solution lets you what...choose files even if there is only one app? Will try I suppose. Tyty

pja2536

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
That second solution lets you what...choose files even if there is only one app?
Yes it does!

The tech support person I had was in Manilla but contacted a higher level support person somewhere else in Apple. She was not able to tell me why my wife's devices were having this problem. My hunch is that it had something to do with my wife's Apple ID account - that was the only common factor (you don't expect to have identical problems on different devices). Guess I will never know. But it does work now. Lots of work (for me ???) getting both devices setup again.

Stay safe,
Peter

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
Please help. Air drop from iPhone keeps opening what’s app in ios13 but a fix on Apple says turn off local network in settings>WhatsApp but there isn’t an option there that says local network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.