AirDrop, both need to turn on Wi-Fi?

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Why can't one be wired? Home Sharing works, why doesn't AirDrop?

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Should be more flexible than this (I know I can drag stuffs through shared drives on network but...)

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Personally I find AirDrop nearly useless in its current form. I use iMessage to send small files around and that seems to work, big files I use Dropbox and send the link using iMessage.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Personally I find AirDrop nearly useless in its current form. I use iMessage to send small files around and that seems to work,
Hey! That's a splendid idea.

Yes, it's nearly useless unless all you have is MacBook. It should work like Home Sharing (works with every Mac on the local network despite its setting up).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey! That's a splendid idea.

Yes, it's nearly useless unless all you have is MacBook. It should work like Home Sharing (works with every Mac on the local network despite its setting up).
Home Sharing works because it is designed as a LAN function. AirDrop is a different feature that allows sending files over a dedicated specific connection to the other client.

You are trying to do LAN connections and that is done through the Finder connecting to a client. Easily done.