AirDrop Dead Horse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

I used to scoff at everyone who complained about AirDrop. It always worked perfectly for me on my 6 Plus and 6S Plus.

I just picked up a 7 Plus and now I can't get the darn AirDrop to work! My wife's 6S Plus has no problems AirDropping photos to me, but when I try to send anything to her, I don't even see her as an available contact.

I updated to 10.1, toggled airplane mode, Bluetooth and WiFi. Even tried a hard reset with no luck. Any other ideas?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Reset network settings? Might trigger something. Yes you have to re-enter all your WiFi passwords, but might be whats needed..

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Like @Mlrollin91 said, resetting network settings works sometimes. For me, Sometimes it seems to fix itself.

This has been a recurring problem for me and my wife since AirDrop came out. I think it has happened with each iPhone we've had from the 5s to the 7+.

Sorry this is happening to you, but glad to see you're a believe now :D

4. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

For me, my missus iPhone has to have the screen on, in order to Air Drop (not sure if this is a requirement, or) to her phone...

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It is, it has to not only be on, it has to be unlocked...

6. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I tried a network reset and both phones were unlocked.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Under Steve Jobs, things "just worked". Nowadays, there are tons and tons of things that don't work.

For years now, AirDrop has been incredibly inconsistent and I'd estimate that it only works about 40-50% of the time.