Airdrop for map directions not working

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by barrett14, Oct 23, 2013.

1. barrett14 macrumors regular

I am trying to use Airdrop to send directions from my iMac to my iPhone.

I get the directions pulled up on Maps and then select Airdrop... Airdrop on my phone is set to "Everyone" but nothing is coming up.

Can anyone else get this to work?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

When you click share, there should be an option at the top that says "send to <your iPhone's name>".

3. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

It isn't seeing my iPhone I guess... Airdrop works between other iPhones just fine.

4. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

i had this problem as well. I too just assumed that the ios7 airdrop version was for iOS devices only. can someone confirm this?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What is your iPhone running?

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Airdrop currently doesn't work cross platform. Airdrop for iOS only works between iOS devices, Airdrop for Mac only works between Macs. This might (hopefully!) change down the road through a point software update.

When you share via Maps in Mavericks you choose your iPhone's name, a second later you should get a notification on your iPhone that directions have been sent. See the attachment for an example.

Attached Files:

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

He's correct that it isn't working through AirDrop, however. At the moment, AirDrop for iOS can't communicate with AirDrop for OS X. There's a difference in the way that the devices find each other and make their initial connection (iOS devices use Bluetooth and then send via wifi; OS X is pure wifi). There are also some differences with how the wifi is used that may or may not require hardware changes to the Mac lineup, but I don't know enough about that to say for sure.

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Your link makes no mention whatsoever of Airdrop working between Mac and iOS... Not sure how that disproves my information, especially since it confirms the method I mentioned in my post.