AirDrop is really nice!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Black Magic, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

So I just played with AirDrop back and forth with my iPhone and iPad Mini and let me tell you it is awesome! Apple hit the ball out of the park with this one. What the hell was Samsung thinking tapping phones when this is so much more easier and user friendly?

I can see this feature getting some serious use!

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Now they just have to allow it to work between iOS and OSX...It seem's like they really dropped the ball there.:confused:

3. malih macrumors member

malih

Exactly, without OS X support, it's useless for me, I don't need transferring files between my portable devices, I need to transfer them from/to my Desktop/Laptop.

Would be even better if they create an app to run AirDrop service for Windows too.

4. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Sharing files with other folks is still really cool especially when it's so simple now.

5. britbloke macrumors newbie

It will most certainly be integrated into OSX in the near future, just like Airplay. And I can see Windows getting in on it too via 3rd party devs (similar to how XBMC allows Airplay on WinPC).

6. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

I agree w/ this. I have been forced to use google drive/dropbox to do what airdrop should be able to. What a shame.

7. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

But what can you really share without the file system being opened up? Beyond photos & videos, are they going to limit it to iWork docs? I either use DropBox or a thumb drive on my keychain to be able to quickly transfer files of any type from one machine to another. If AirDrop is limited to only a few file types, it will be "nice" but not truly useful.

And I will admit that I have not yet done a deep dive into the AirDrop specs, so if I missed a sheet that defines what it can & can't do...my bad.

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Apple said if an app can use a share sheet, it can use Airdrop.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've been using instashare during the beta and now it's on the App Store. Suits my needs perfectly.

10. stooovie macrumors 6502a

AirDrop between iOS and OSX is not going to work. Hardware limitation (Wifi direct needed for ad hoc wireless connection - no internet connection needed).

11. phositadc macrumors 6502

12. TheJetSetBug macrumors newbie

Yay!

It will be nice... I share photos with near friends all the time and sometimes iMessage doesn't deliver as quickly as I would like in spotty coverage areas. It will be nice to be able to go from phone to phone directly.

I would imagine that if the AirDrop functionality for iPhone>Mac doesn't exist with the pending iOS 7 release, it will be incorporated later. I think Apple would be smart enough to name the feature something else if they have no intention of Mac integration since Macs have had AirDrop for awhile. Obviously the requirement will be that the Mac and iPhone be on the same 802.3/802.11 /bluetooth network. I suspect the update will occur to the Mac to allow this feature to be used with iOS 7. Hopefully this occurs. I'm tired of iMessaging myself pics to my Mac. (I don't want to use Photostream) :)

13. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Looking forward to jailbreak to get this on my iPhone 4:rolleyes:

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am surprised Apple didn't name this feature iDrop.

Dropbox is very nice, in my opinion. I am the only one in my family with an iPhone. And without OS X integration, the Airdrop feature is worthless to me, at this point in time.

15. matttye, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

matttye macrumors 601

Dropbox uploads data to the cloud. Airdrop creates an ad hoc wifi connection between two devices and fires the data straight to it. It doesn't use the internet. This means in ideal conditions it could reach almost the maximum throughput your router is capable of, just like locally networked computers.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The iPhone 4 doesn't support Wi-Fi Direct, therefore it's impossible for it to actually support AirDrop.

----------

Except the thing is with share sheets, you're sharing one of 5 things:

Photos
    Videos
    iWork documents
    Links
    Text

17. flux73 macrumors 65816

Why can't AirDrop be implemented on OS X? Are the Mac's WiFi incapable of doing WiFi Direct? I wasn't aware that this was a hardware limitation.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The Mac uses WiFi Ad-Hoc, iOS uses Wi-Fi Direct

It's more efficient for mobile devices to use Wi-Fi Direct, but IIRC the wifi chips in the all new Airs are actually Wi-Fi Direct compatible, so chances are we'll see AirDrop iOS <--> OS X with future models of the Mac in a 7.1/10.9.x update or 8.0/10.10.

19. stooovie macrumors 6502a

20. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

From Wikipedia:
    "Only one of the Wi-Fi devices needs to be compliant with Wi-Fi Direct to establish a peer-to-peer connection that transfers data directly between each other with greatly reduced setup."

Is this not accurate?

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Possibly.

I'm not a Wi-Fi Direct Genius. It's not just not having Wi-Fi Direct though, it's the protocols involved along with how the devices communicate. It's much much much more detailed than just having Wi-Fi Direct or not.

22. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

What about Instashare?

23. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Found an app called deskconnect in the app store that works really great for this.

You can transfer files like photos, small videos, PDF files, etc. as long as they're under 100 megabytes.

You have to download the app both for Mac and your iOS device and you can share files between the two very quickly and easily.

One of the best apps I've used in a while very simple and intuitive.

24. malih macrumors member

malih

Yes, I think it's cool too. I do appreciate it when meeting with another friend using Macbook that I can simply AirDrop a file, but we rarely hang out.

It's just that personally, I'm the only one with iDevices, my girlfriend and most of my friends are Android+Windows users.

25. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

I understand Wi Fi needs to be turned on but do you need to be connected to a router for it to work?