AirDrop issue between Yosemite and iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by david77, Sep 3, 2014.

1. david77 macrumors regular

I installed beta 5 of iOS 8 and Yosemite Preview 7 and I'm unable to get AirDrop working in both directions. I can send a photo from iPhone to Mac with no issues, but can't do the opposite. My AirDrop on both devices is set to Contacts only. Any suggestions?

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Have you tried setting it to everyone? Had to do that with Yosemite and my wife's older mac with Mavericks. But it may also kick in with iOS.

3. david77 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried and didn't have any success.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I have noticed that it takes an undetermined ammount of time for both ios 8 and Yosemite to talk to each other. I was trying to get continuity working and it wasn't, then all of a sudden several days later it started working. Hell, last night airdrop just started working. It's odd.

Some basics which I am sure you have done. Make sure both drvices are on the same wifi network.

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

You don't need wifi connected to use Airdrop though. The technology just required the wifi on, not necessarily connected.

6. david77 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure how AirDrop uses the combination of WiFi and Bluetooth, but I've tested on multiple networks with no success. The iPhone sees the Mac in the Bluetooth settings, but the Mac does not see the iPhone.

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I believe you need AirDrop set to everyone on both devices. It's also a beta but you know that.

Yesterday I was able to take photos on my phone and send them to my mac.

8. david77 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried everyone on both with no luck. I have my iPhone set to Contacts and it sees the MBP fine.

9. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Yosemite isn't final yet then I suppose.

10. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

AirDrop not working here, Late 2013 rMBP, running OS X 10.10 Beta 3 and iPad Air 4G running iOS 8 GM

11. myname70 macrumors 6502a

iMac with 10.10 PB3 and iPhone 5s with iOs 8 -- Airdrop does not work

12. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Agreed, here too.

I did take a look at the Extensions on my MBP (late 2010, OS 10 beta), and iPhone 5s says laptop is discoverable but unsupported. Went to Sys Pref/Extensions to check on Airdrop sharing and although it's checked, it's greyed out so cannot select it.

So looked forward to simply dragging photos from iPhone to comp.