Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I enabled Airdrop on the mac, but in ios7 on a new iPhone 5s nothing shows up in the "Airdrop" sharing area.

There seems to be lots of posts on this, but I'm baffled why it doesn't just "work". I am connected via Wifi to my network and we can hook up two macs that 'see' each other.

How to fix this with ios so it sees airplay?

Thanks,
m

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I enabled Airdrop on the mac, but in ios7 on a new iPhone 5s nothing shows up in the "Airdrop" sharing area.

There seems to be lots of posts on this, but I'm baffled why it doesn't just "work". I am connected via Wifi to my network and we can hook up two macs that 'see' each other.

Thanks,
m

Airdrop for iOS 7 currently only supports Airdrop between iOS devices, not between iOS and Mac.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks,
m
Airdrop on iPhone and Airdrop on OSX are not compatible.

At the hardware level there are differences in technology, even though the name and user experience is simliar.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Airdrop on iPhone and Airdrop on OSX are not compatible.

At the hardware level there are differences in technology, even though the name and user experience is simliar.

*** Update:

With two iOS 7 iPhones both connected to WiFi, nothing happens on the other iPhone if I go into a Picture and try to share. AirDrop still does not show the other iPhone.

The message on the iPhone is to go into Control Center and enable AirDrop, but AirDrop is not listed in Control center. There is to enable "in app" stuff and another one. They're both "Green" (on) on both phones.

Confused why this still isn't working with two iOS 7 devices two feet apart.

thanks

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
*** Update:

With two iOS 7 iPhones both connected to WiFi, nothing happens on the other iPhone if I go into a Picture and try to share. AirDrop still does not show the other iPhone.

The message on the iPhone is to go into Control Center and enable AirDrop, but AirDrop is not listed in Control center. There is to enable "in app" stuff and another one. They're both "Green" (on) on both phones.

thanks

Both devices must be iPhone 5 or later.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
*** Update:

thanks

Bluetooth AND Wifi need to be on for Airdrop to work

Both devices do NOT need to connected to a Wifi network however.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Both devices must be iPhone 5 or later.

Plus same wifi with Bluetooth on. I bet either one of them isn't currently connected to wifi or the Bluetooth is off.

----------

Bluetooth AND Wifi need to be on for Airdrop to work

Both devices do NOT need to connected to a Wifi network however.

Yes they do need to be on an actual network. And the same one. That's how the transfer happens. Bluetooth is just used to mark the 'local' area and pick possible connections.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Plus same wifi with Bluetooth on. I bet either one of them isn't currently connected to wifi or the Bluetooth is off.

----------

Yes they do need to be on an actual network. And the same one. That's how the transfer happens. Bluetooth is just used to mark the 'local' area and pick possible connections.

They do not need to be on the same network.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5887

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.