Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey, guys,

I've updated to Yosemite on my late 2011 MBP, but it can't seem to detect other devices. I've enabled Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but the AirDrop section in Finder just says "AirDrop lets you share instantly with people nearby..." -- it doesn't even let me toggle its visibility. Both my iPhone 6 and iPad mini are running iOS 8.0.2 with AirDrop enable for everyone. I'm really not sure what else I need to enable. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Try logging out of iCloud for all your devices, then logging in again. If it still doesn't work, reset your iPhone.

I had a similar issue, where I could airdrop from my macbook air to my iPhone, but not the other way around. Signing in and out of iCloud did the trick.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
it looks like newer macs (2012+) require bluetooth to be turned on in order for airdrop to work. if you're trying to connect to an older mac with airdrop, there's a little link under the airdrop icon in the window, which asks you to search for older systems. when you click it, it should show you the old mac, and then you can transfer files.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Try logging out of iCloud for all your devices, then logging in again. If it still doesn't work, reset your iPhone.

I had a similar issue, where I could airdrop from my macbook air to my iPhone, but not the other way around. Signing in and out of iCloud did the trick.

Tried, but still the same.

it looks like newer macs (2012+) require bluetooth to be turned on in order for airdrop to work. if you're trying to connect to an older mac with airdrop, there's a little link under the airdrop icon in the window, which asks you to search for older systems. when you click it, it should show you the old mac, and then you can transfer files.

This is all I see when trying to find my iPhone and iPad:
V1upqvO.png

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
California
Tried, but still the same.

This is all I see when trying to find my iPhone and iPad:Image

Only 2012 and newer models are capable of airdropping with iPhones. This is supported by a sentence in the Apple support article you posted earlier in the thread stating "If a Mac you're using with AirDrop was manufactured before 2012, you can send and receive files with other Mac computers." This implies incompatibility with iPhones for airdrop if your computer is a 2011 model. Your MacBook Pro does not have the version of bluetooth required for AirDrop compatibility.

Also from the article: "In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed and your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model."

Last edited:

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Only 2012 and newer models are capable of airdropping with iPhones. This is supported by a sentence in the Apple support article you posted earlier in the thread stating "If a Mac you're using with AirDrop was manufactured before 2012, you can send and receive files with other Mac computers." This implies incompatibility with iPhones for airdrop if your computer is a 2011 model. Your MacBook Pro does not have the version of bluetooth required for AirDrop compatibility.

That's a shame. I might have to replace the AirPort/Bluetooth card

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That's a shame. I might have to replace the AirPort/Bluetooth card

Would that work? Apple could have simply coded Airdrop to recognise devices by model number, rather than by specs (since they only make so many models). In this case, adding a bluetooth dongle or module may not work either.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Would that work? Apple could have simply coded Airdrop to recognise devices by model number, rather than by specs (since they only make so many models). In this case, adding a bluetooth dongle or module may not work either.

It's a possibility, but I've seen several people opting to replace the card.

I've been having to same issue as you, just ordered a new airport card so I can finally get this working.

Awesome. Can you let me know which card you got and if it ends up working?

EDIT: Looks like it does work using a 2012 MBP card: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1747240/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.