Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
I turn on wifi and bluetooth but I still can't find or be found by other devices. I turned off and on my phone. One thing I did notice though was that the bluetooth icon is transparent, not white. Is that a problem? How do I fix this? Thanks

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Make sure you're not connected through AirPlay, and try going into the AirDrop in finder by click on it on the left pane of Finder. If all else fails, restart one or both system.

thenguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Make sure you're not connected through AirPlay, and try going into the AirDrop in finder by click on it on the left pane of Finder. If all else fails, restart one or both system.

how do I do that? and are you talking about on my iPhone or Macbook?

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
On the Mac.. if you're connected to AppleTV or other AirPlay device, switch it off. If you don't know how to do that then you probably don't have it on.

In Finder, on the left pane there's a AirDrop label near the top. If you don't see it, go into Finder Preferences and turn it on. Then click on it to discover your iPhone. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to find it.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Tried restarting?

There's no other setting besides the Control Panel options.. if WiFi is on and Bluetooth is on, it should work between phones..

thenguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Tried restarting?

There's no other setting besides the Control Panel options.. if WiFi is on and Bluetooth is on, it should work between phones..

I guess I should. I got a 6 and restored from backup and my 5's AirDrop doesn't work either. Is there any way I can get my data (messages, photos, and contacts) back without restoring from backup?

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Wait, I'm just talking about restarting the phone by pressing down sleep+home button for 5 seconds, not restoring through iTunes. Are we on the same page?

If you restored from backup, why were those items not restored? You're jumping on topics right now..

thenguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Wait, I'm just talking about restarting the phone by pressing down sleep+home button for 5 seconds, not restoring through iTunes. Are we on the same page?

If you restored from backup, why were those items not restored? You're jumping on topics right now..

My bad. Yes I have tried restarting by holding both buttons. But I also feel somethings wrong with the settings because the problems on both of my phones (5 and 6) which I transferred my data through "restore from backup"

I was thinking I might have to fully restore my phone through iTunes but want my data.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
My bad. Yes I have tried restarting by holding both buttons. But I also feel somethings wrong with the settings because the problems on both of my phones (5 and 6) which I transferred my data through "restore from backup"

I was thinking I might have to fully restore my phone through iTunes but want my data.

Are you on Wifi at home? If so, try restarting your Router. My co worker could not get his 2 iPhone 6's to see each other in Airdrop no matter what he did but I told him just to restart his router and that fixed it.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
AirDrop is one of those features that only works some of the time, at least among the 3 iPhones and 3 iPads we have. Same with continuity - outgoing calls from iPad through the iPhone especially. They should have just slapped a "beta" label on many of these new features like they did with iCloud photo library so everyone's expectations would be tempered.

The Merg

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
I routinely have issues with AirDrop on my iPhone 6. I found that I can usually get it to work if I have it set for Everyone and not Contacts Only.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I find it strange. My 2012 MBPr Airdrop can see iPad Air 2 but could not find iPhone 6 Plus BUT iPhone 6 Plus can airdrop to my MBPr.... whats up with that? :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.