AirDrop over ethernet?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by HiFiGuy528, Nov 13, 2017.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The command is for enabling the legacy AirDrop mode, and therefore it won't work with iOS devices (as far as I know).

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/1...s-between-unsupported-macs-and-over-ethernet/

You could just turn on WiFi for the moment you need to AirDrop, if WiFi staying on is an issue. I imagine you can even script it to turn on for 5 minutes and then turn off. iOS 11 pretends to turn off Bluetooth and WiFi so that AirDrop still works.

I don't think there is a non-WiFi option as AirDrop is peer-to-peer by design and so it works without routers.

3. Czo macrumors 6502

Why u would like to turn off WiFi? Disabling IPv4 and IPv6 is not what you want? I’m using it with disabled v4 and v6 on my iMac, and everything is working

4. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Agree with question and solution. Seems like the baby is being thrown out with the bath water by OP.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

This is the answer. The "interoperable" version of AirDrop specifically uses WiFi Direct. It doesn't just use "network". You have to have WiFi turned on to use AirDrop. It's also one of the reasons only newer Macs support it - because the WiFi chipset in older Macs doesn't support WiFi Direct.

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I try keep WiFi turned off on as many devices as possible because I already have 12 different devices on the wireless network. Just thought to keep the network at minimum congestion if I can was wired instead on the iMac. Looks like I should just manually turn on wifi when using Airdrop.