Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
So I looked to see if this had been asked but could not find it. I had read you could use Airdrop over wifi but the tests we have done always have us turning on Bluetooth. Obviously I am trying to conserve battery life as I do think it is draining faster now. Any ideas? Thanks!!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
AirDrop uses wifi direct and Bluetooth in conjunction. I think it uses BLE (Bluetooth low energy) to find airdrop users and wifi direct to actually connect and send files.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I understand Wi FI has to be turned on but do you actually need to be connected to WI FI for the transfer to work?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
AirDrop needs wifi & bluetooth to both be turned on, but, no, you do not need to be connected to a wifi network, it can share via bluetooth between two iOS 7 devices that have this feature.

("AirDrop is available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account." (footnotes here: http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/)) ...this is a hardware limitation, the wifi/bluetooth hardware in older idevices are not compatible with the tech.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Any reason why I can only see my wife's phone when I have it set to "everyone" but can't see it when it's set to "contacts only"? I have her as a contact and all of her info is in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.