Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
I am not sure if there is a similar post to this one.

I use an iphone 8 with live photos turned off and I want to import my photos from my phone to my mac. I don't want to use icloud photos so I have two choices. Airdrop and Image Capture.

When I use airdrop to send my photos to my imac the file size of the same photo is significantly smaller compared to using image capture. I also notice that the same photo has different file name. For example for airdrop is IMG_0180 and for image capture is IMG_0177.

On comparison to an iphone 6 , airdrop and image capture produces exactly the same file size with exactly the same file names.

Why do I see this file size compression with airdrop? Does that mean that the photo quality if lower compared to Image Capture?

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Hello Planky and thanks for your reply.

Yes my iPhone 8 takes photos in the new HEIF format. I changed the settings under the camera to the compatible format and I didn't have this issue since then.

I assume you're right about airdrop copying smaller version of files. I just don't know if this "compression? " results to loss of image quality.

Planky

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
I just tried it on my MacBook.

Airdroping converts the image to JPEG, and image capture keeps the original HEIC format.
Which even though HEIC is smaller it is the newer more efficient format hence why it is smaller.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
I just tried it on my MacBook.

Airdroping converts the image to JPEG, and image capture keeps the original HEIC format.
Which even though HEIC is smaller it is the newer more efficient format hence why it is smaller.

My Image Capture keeps the JPEG file. Maybe you have selected to keep the original files in your iphone Camera Settings?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Out of curiosity what is your reason for not using iCloud? I find it incredibly convenient but I don’t have a device that uses HEIC.

Not trying to promote it, just like knowing all the pros and cons to what I’m doing so I know for future reference.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Out of curiosity what is your reason for not using iCloud? I find it incredibly convenient but I don’t have a device that uses HEIC.

Not trying to promote it, just like knowing all the pros and cons to what I’m doing so I know for future reference.

The main reason is that I take lot of photos of sensitive and private work data that I wouldn't like them to be on cloud. For example any medical related photo from a document shouldn't be on my personal icloud.

Other than that iCloud doesn't give me the choice which photos I would like to upload. I wouldn't mind storing there photos from vacations, but I have to keep work documents stored locally (I take lot of photos for work) . I really don't understand here why I don't have the option of not allowing some photos to be upload to iCloud.

Finally a while ago when I had a new iPhone I forgot to turn off iCloud photos for about a month. Lot of work documents (photos) ended up in iCloud. To my surprise when I tried to delete them from iCloud.com there was not an option to Select All photos and delete them all together. I had to manually select them by clicking one by one in order to delete them. I had to go through that process for about 400-500 photos! Not very funny :))))

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The main reason is that I take lot of photos of sensitive and private work data that I wouldn't like them to be on cloud. For example any medical related photo from a document shouldn't be on my personal icloud.

Other than that iCloud doesn't give me the choice which photos I would like to upload. I wouldn't mind storing there photos from vacations, but I have to keep work documents stored locally (I take lot of photos for work) . I really don't understand here why I don't have the option of not allowing some photos to be upload to iCloud.

Finally a while ago when I had a new iPhone I forgot to turn off iCloud photos for about a month. Lot of work documents (photos) ended up in iCloud. To my surprise when I tried to delete them from iCloud.com there was not an option to Select All photos and delete them all together. I had to manually select them by clicking one by one in order to delete them. I had to go through that process for about 400-500 photos! Not very funny :))))

Good to know you take privacy seriously.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK

I agree, iCloud.com is quire poor with photo manipulation (including no editing or rotation). If you were using your Mac then the Photos app would do a better job of selecting images for deletion.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
I agree, iCloud.com is quire poor with photo manipulation (including no editing or rotation). If you were using your Mac then the Photos app would do a better job of selecting images for deletion.

Hello Nigel and thank you for your reply,

yes you're right that I could delete photos from my imac. But that means I would have to activate iCloud to my iMac, sync everything with my imac just to select and delete photos that shouldn't be in iCloud in the first place.

Not only I don't understand why I can't select which photos will be uploaded to the iCloud but it's also puzzling me why Apple activates iCloud photos by default without asking the user. There are people who simply shouldn't store some of their photos on the cloud for legal reasons (and for privacy reasons of course) For instance doctors who take photos of medical records, I assume lawyers etc..

Anyway that's Apple I guess :) :)

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
yes you're right that I could delete photos from my imac. But that means I would have to activate iCloud to my iMac, sync everything with my imac just to select and delete photos that shouldn't be in iCloud in the first place.

Yes, that's very true. I was just thinking of enabling iCloud temporarily to do the deleting, then disabling it again. I'd forgotten about all the other photos that would be there!

Have you thought about using a different camera app? Are there any that do not automatically save the pictures to the iOS Photos app? It might be worth a look.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hello Nigel and thank you for your reply,

Not only I don't understand why I can't select which photos will be uploaded to the iCloud but it's also puzzling me why Apple activates iCloud photos by default without asking the user. There are people who simply shouldn't store some of their photos on the cloud for legal reasons (and for privacy reasons of course) For instance doctors who take photos of medical records, I assume lawyers etc..

Anyway that's Apple I guess :) :)

iCloud Photo Library is a syncing mechanism, not a backup mechanism although it can generally be used as one. All your photo libraries will mirror each other on your computer, iPads, iPhones, etc...

Keep in mind their servers are more secure then your phone is. While they own the servers the storage and data is considered an extension of your phone.

The security and privacy concern with iCloud comes from it syncing to a device you dont aren't around that someone else may have access too (and then them doing something silly like leaving a Mac unlocked and walking away from it). In that case that device should be disabled from iCloud.

Like mention you can also download a 3rd party camera app that save photos to its own camera roll. I believe Camera+ does that, or at least it did. You can also keep iCloud off and manually save individual photos to Files.app in dedicated folders for pics that have less privacy concerns.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Yes, that's very true. I was just thinking of enabling iCloud temporarily to do the deleting, then disabling it again. I'd forgotten about all the other photos that would be there!

Have you thought about using a different camera app? Are there any that do not automatically save the pictures to the iOS Photos app? It might be worth a look.

First of all thank you for your suggestion. In the past I tried another camera app but it was giving me two options.

1. In order to import the photos to my computer I had to save them to the camera roll first.

2. I could save the files to the new Files App which is cloud storage.

I assume most camera apps work the same.

Another issue is that I don't trust the policy of some camera apps.. For example I used to use for my personal photos Prisma, which is a wonderful photo editing app. In order to use this app, your photos should be uploaded to Prisma's servers to be edited. Something I would never do with a work file. Of course a camera app doesn't work exactly the same but when it comes to third party apps there are so many fine prints in their policy that I would simply avoid going through the process.

The only thing I ask is to take the most high quality photo possible with my iphone default camera, store it locally, import it locally and I need to understand if Apple compresses my files with airdrop. :))
[doublepost=1525341994][/doublepost]
iCloud Photo Library is a syncing mechanism, not a backup mechanism although it can generally be used as one. All your photo libraries will mirror each other on your computer, iPads, iPhones, etc...

Keep in mind their servers are more secure then your phone is. While they own the servers the storage and data is considered an extension of your phone.

The security and privacy concern with iCloud comes from it syncing to a device you dont aren't around that someone else may have access too (and then them doing something silly like leaving a Mac unlocked and walking away from it). In that case that device should be disabled from iCloud.

Like mention you can also download a 3rd party camera app that save photos to its own camera roll. I believe Camera+ does that, or at least it did. You can also keep iCloud off and manually save individual photos to Files.app in dedicated folders for pics that have less privacy concerns.

Hello cynics again :)

I don't disagree that Apple's servers are secure. That's why I would love to store my personal photos there.

But when it comes to some files it's also a legal issue. For instance we can't simply save medical files in our personal cloud storage. As far as I know this law applies in most countries.

Edit: I will try the Camera+ today :) Thanks a lot ! :)

Update: I tried the Camera+ and it still saves the photos in camera roll. I couldn't find any other folder where I can store the photos in order to import them from iTunes or with some other tool. On top of that it's complicated for my needs :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't disagree that Apple's servers are secure. That's why I would love to store my personal photos there.

But when it comes to some files it's also a legal issue. For instance we can't simply save medical files in our personal cloud storage. As far as I know this law applies in most countries.

Edit: I will try the Camera+ today :) Thanks a lot ! :)

Update: I tried the Camera+ and it still saves the photos in camera roll. I couldn't find any other folder where I can store the photos in order to import them from iTunes or with some other tool. On top of that it's complicated for my needs :)

We have HIPAA laws and if that is what you are referencing just search for a HIPAA approved camera apps. There are also Camera apps that will save directly to HIPAA approved cloud services like DropBox.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
We have HIPAA laws and if that is what you are referencing just search for a HIPAA approved camera apps. There are also Camera apps that will save directly to HIPAA approved cloud services like DropBox.

Hello Cynics again, I appreciate your time and effort to help me.

HIPAA applies to the US only. There are different standards in Europe (Data Protection Directive) , in Canada (Pipeda) ..In a while a new standard law will apply here in Europe the GDPR which also adds the right to be forgotten.

I used in the past a HIPAA compliant app but for example I shouldn't upload files to Dropbox which is HIPAA compliant (for US citizens only). Dropbox will be GDPR compliant end of May.

Please pardon me here if I am not accurate to the legal standards above but it's not my area. I'm just writing what I have understood so far.

There are a few apps that solve this problem. They save the photos locally in their own vault. But eventually I still need to transfer them from my iPhone to my computer and here comes the question on what is the best way to transfer them. To my understanding airdrop compresses my files therefore I end up losing quality.

Two new apps I discovered and have to try them are PicSafe and CaptureProof. I will use them in the next days.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hello Cynics again, I appreciate your time and effort to help me.

HIPAA applies to the US only. There are different standards in Europe (Data Protection Directive) , in Canada (Pipeda) ..In a while a new standard law will apply here in Europe the GDPR which also adds the right to be forgotten.

I used in the past a HIPAA compliant app but for example I shouldn't upload files to Dropbox which is HIPAA compliant (for US citizens only). Dropbox will be GDPR compliant end of May.

Please pardon me here if I am not accurate to the legal standards above but it's not my area. I'm just writing what I have understood so far.

There are a few apps that solve this problem. They save the photos locally in their own vault. But eventually I still need to transfer them from my iPhone to my computer and here comes the question on what is the best way to transfer them. To my understanding airdrop compresses my files therefore I end up losing quality.

Two new apps I discovered and have to try them are PicSafe and CaptureProof. I will use them in the next days.

Airdrop does not use lossy compression. Keep in mind you can transfer other things that a would be corrupted. It probably doesn't use any sort of compression but if it does its for the transfer and its lossless.

Just to verify I kept AirDrop a JPG between my iMac and iPhone.

Left is the original, right is the 3rd transfer back to the Mac.

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 5.55.51 PM.png

Post back with how well those camera apps work. Be good to know for future reference. I used to work for a government contractor and we could only use phones without cameras at all or you would have to drop them off at check in and they would hold them in a safe until you were off.

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
Though I prefer to use Image Capture as well as I like to have my pics in a universal format. But just so you know as an FYI you can use the Photos app on Mac without using iCloud Photo Library

dialogos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Airdrop does not use lossy compression. Keep in mind you can transfer other things that a would be corrupted. It probably doesn't use any sort of compression but if it does its for the transfer and its lossless.

Just to verify I kept AirDrop a JPG between my iMac and iPhone.

Left is the original, right is the 3rd transfer back to the Mac.

View attachment 760803

Post back with how well those camera apps work. Be good to know for future reference. I used to work for a government contractor and we could only use phones without cameras at all or you would have to drop them off at check in and they would hold them in a safe until you were off.

Very good idea to keep Airdroping the same file back and forth!!!

I will post my update about the camera apps, just give me a couple of days. It's a very busy week :)
[doublepost=1525609211][/doublepost]
Though I prefer to use Image Capture as well as I like to have my pics in a universal format. But just so you know as an FYI you can use the Photos app on Mac without using iCloud Photo Library

Hello davidmartindale,

thanks for the tip! For my tasks it's better to organize my photos under folders (with dates/first last name etc). What I do though with Photos App is to drag n drop from my local folders my personal photos. It's a nice program to use! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.