Airdrop when will it "just work"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aicul, Nov 13, 2016.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

I think airdrop is great ... in concept

However its implementation is just hazy; it works one in three times on average. And when it fails there is absolutely no way to understand what's wrong.

So now I try airdrop; and if it does not work I give up instantly and revert to good old USB stick.

But this is not right; so I'm wondering if someone has; or knows of; a definitive guide to make airdrop work first time.

Thanks

2. Ducki macrumors newbie

3. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Airdrop is hopelessly unreliable. It used to be pretty reliable between two macs, but between iOS devices, between a mac and an iOS device, it is hopeless. Sometimes it works well, sometimes terribly.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've found it more reliable recently, but it's definitely not something that works every time

5. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, for Ducki, yes I am certain all settings are correct; and I noted that if wifi or BT are not active the os actually asks me to activate them. And the setting is for all users so there is no filter here either.

Yes, terribly unreliable, worst, its supposed to be that quick and easy connect and ends up taking more time than usb; shameful I would say.

Wish there was some sort of "info" panel that let me know the basics each airport system has; so that I could spot the differences and try to resolve them. Or something of the sort.

6. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

Airdrop has rarely worked for me. When it has worked, it's horribly slow. Quite frankly, it's easier, more reliable and faster to just connect via Command+K.

7. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Indeed that's what I do mac to mac; but from iOS airdrop has great "potential".

8. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

This is a post I made in Aug. I only used AirDrop for a few weeks after that post, but it did work consistently well.

9. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

i think you need a mac with "low power bluetooth" technology?? to make sure airdrop runs every time.

10. macmee Suspended

macmee

something much more reliable IMO than airdrop is to enable file sharing, go to advanced and enable FTP

then use filezilla or transmit (if u got the $$$$) from the other mac to connect to the first one to copy over the files.

I also avoid smb and afp because they also suck