Airdrop Wifi 802.11ac Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Birkan, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Birkan macrumors member

Birkan

Hi! I was wondering what is the airdrop speed between two 2013 retina macbook pro. 2013 retina macbook pro has 3 stream wifi with 1.3gbps bandwith. There wont be a router between macs. I plan to move 30 GB+ between two macs. Or should I use a usb disk?
    Thanks in advance,
    Birkan

2. rex450se macrumors regular

I don't know about going between Mac's but yesterday I moved 30+ Gbs from an external USB3 hard drive that is plugged into my Asus RT-AC68R router's USB3 port and it took about 40 minutes. I was also watching youtube videos at the same time so I'm sure it could have been a little quicker if I weren't. But I wasn't going to just sit there and watch the status bar that whole time. My rMBP is the only device logged on to the 5 Ghz channel and connected on AC, so there should have been no other interference. I regularly see 50+ Mbps on speed tests online, but that is limited to my internet connection. I would think just a Mac to Mac connection would be even quicker.

Victor

Attached Files:

3. Birkan thread starter macrumors member

Birkan

Your external HDD was probably the bottleneck unless it has SSD in it. I can get around same speed between my desktop which is linked to my 300 mbps router via ethernet and my Macbook. Thanks for reply