All iPads Airdrop woes :'(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ShakinBake, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ShakinBake, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

ShakinBake macrumors member

I have a 32 gig iPad Mini w/Retina display and for some reason airdrop is significantly slower on my device compared to others with full sized iPads. I haven't seen anyone else with a mini retina so I can't compare with them but for sure when I transfer files or accept files it takes minutes rather than seconds when compared to others. I'm in Med school so sharing pictures, videos and pdfs is a daily routine.

I've already accepted the ever so slight yellow tint on the bottom left corner and I've just about convinced myself I was delusional when I spotted a dead pixel and have just ignored it since, but this is too far if my bluetooth is defective.

Anyways. Does anyone know what the problem may be or how to fix it? Does anyone else have this problem? I tried to google the problem but came up unsuccessful.

I have about 6 gigs of free space if that's relevant.

*Just as an update to anyone who may be able to help or is experiencing a similar problem, I just ran some trials between my retina iPad mini and my gfs last gen iPad mini and found her average transfer speed of a 30 second video to be 22 seconds and mine to be 45 seconds of the same video. I did it three times each back and forth, both of us are on the same wifi network.

2. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Speed is dependent upon the wifi network speed...AirDrop doesn't use Bluetooth. This isn't internet speed, but the network speed. This is all about network traffic at your location. iOS devices connect over the network, it isn't a direct device to device connection like NFC. Since you're using a public network, the traffic is probably high, thus making your transfer speeds slow. My home network (Airport Express, 5 ghz) is blazing fast...but if it had 25 people on it at the same time it would slow down. Your school probably has hundreds on it at the same time, all using the same "pipes."

3. Yahooligan, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

OP, not sure why your Mini would operate any slower, it has the same wifi as the newer/larger models. Everyone the same distance apart?

Yeah, no...AirDrop IS a direct device-to-device connection and it does use Bluetooth for part of it. It is not dependent on being connected to the same wifi network, you don't even need to be connected to wifi to use AirDrop. Apple's site is also pretty clear on the basics.

This article explains how it works.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...airdrop-simplifies-speedy-local-file-transfer

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yes I have to turn bluetooth on my devices for it to work. I was a bit confused by the earlier post.

5. ShakinBake thread starter macrumors member

The thing is our school internet is pretty much non existent. I'm in the Philippines so it's really slow. No one ever connects or bothers to register cuz it sucks that bad. I myself registered and am able to connect on the rare occasion I find a sweet spot but as far as transfers go, we are all standing next to each other and don't use any wifi network.

6. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I stand corrected. It sure has seemed dependent upon a wifi network in the past...but I've only used it between Macs...not iOS devices, now that I think about it.