Airdrop

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ^squirrel^, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

2. reese637, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

reese637 macrumors newbie

reese637

Yes it should

3. Alveezy macrumors regular

wrong...both computers can be on different connections. better yet...NO WiFi!!(internet connection) is needed as stated under the Airdrop section of this link
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/

4. reese637, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

reese637 macrumors newbie

reese637

Yes I edited my post after I quickly checked the apple site and saw no wifi is needed. Then I tried it out and it didn't work, it required wifi. But I do believe you can be on different connections.
    I got this message
    [​IMG]

5. Alveezy macrumors regular

yeah i'm wondering how it'll work without WiFi...maybe bluetooth or IR Receiver?...maybe i'll try when a friend of mine upgrades.

6. reese637 macrumors newbie

reese637

Okay, I did a quick test where I disconected from my wifi, but kept airport on. That seemed to work. So I'm guessing that maybe the computer connect to each other using the airport signals they send out.

7. curtisinoc, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

curtisinoc macrumors 6502

I'm guessing then, you can "airdrop" files between a wireless macbook pro and an ethernet connected iMac?

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

It requires WiFi....but you don't have to be connected via WiFi to a network.

Remember Airdrop is peer to peer. That's why only newer Macs can use Airdrop. The WiFi adapter has to be compatible.

So for example, my Mac Pro is connected via ethernet. I can turn on the WiFi, but not connect to my network, and Airdrop is available to use.

-Kevin

9. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

My only real qualm about it is that you have to notify your recipient that you are sending them a file...so he/she can open it up as well.

This would be perfect for my small office, but its kind of a pain to have to call them and tell them to open up their Airdrop folder.