AirDrop

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by wolfpackfan, Sep 13, 2014.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Should AirDrop be working okay now between Yosemite PB2 and IOS 8 GM? For some reason I can't get it to recognize each other. Any suggestions or things I should check?

2. Tamagotchi, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Apple sucks at developing Airdrop, it is a big piece of sss...

That said, try the following:

Disconnect any device that uses bluetooth from the Mac (if you use a trackpad, take out the battery). Then turn off the Wifi and Bluetooth in your Mac.

On your iPhone, scroll up the control panel, and disable both Wifi and Bluetooth too.

Now, press Airdrop on your iPhone, it will ask if you want to keep it off, contacts only, and everyone. Select everyone. It will then turn on Wifi and Bluetooth automatically as you need both on to use airdrop.

Open Finder in your Mac, select airdrop and do the same thing.. turn it on with Everyone, and it will automatically turn on Wifi and Bluetooth.

After 2-3 seconds your iPhone should pop up in the centre of the Finder window.

Hope it helps!

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tips, but didn't work. Not sure what could be causing this problem.

4. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Hmmm... maybe go to your iPhone and Mac, and press Forget Network for your Wifi. Then try again what I mentioned earlier.

Oh, and btw, you must have your iPhone on at the home screen when you check on Finder to see if it detects it.

5. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

That worked!

Thanks... These instructions fixed it for me!!!

Now if only I can get instant hotspot to work.....

6. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

One thing on my Mac, it never asks me for Everyone. Is there somewhere you actually turn AirDrop on on your Mac? Or just be in the AirDrop panel in Finder? Also, not sure if it makes any difference but I'm using an iPad, not an iPhone.