Airfare Robbery--- holy Garuda!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Apr 21, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm still booking my Asian holiday, which is about a month away. The airfare is staggering. I was going to have my travel agent do it all, and she did...for $25,000. She did all the airfare and hotels through Singapore Airlines, which wasn't a good idea. For example, we're staying at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, which is $800 a night...that's overkill.

We're now trying to do it on our own, but it's killing us. Who knew it was that hard to catch a plane from Jakarta to Hong Kong? You'd think that'd be easy, but they all are about $880, all pretty much leaving at midnight with six hour layovers at Changi.

I also can't believe how expensive it is on the way back from Narita to Denver...$2200. I suppose that's just a result of summer rush, I guess.

To all you living in Asia Pacific, what's a good budget airline to fly from Jakarta to Hong Kong? As long as it's not $880, doesn't leave at midnight and get in late at night, I'll book it in a second.

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Its been getting to every one....

My family was going to buy tickets from Aloha Arlines to go to California (Live on Maui). Alas, they closed (They gave us cocochip cookies!). Needless to say, I was bummed.

After they died, we were going to buy tickets on ATA, but they also died.

All the prices are going up....

I believe that your leaving from Denver? Im not sure if they fly from there, but you might want to fly Japan Airlines. I havent flown on them, but from what I have seen, the flights are nice (TV's in every chair ftw!). They might be pricy though.....

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, I live in Denver, home of one of the five United Airlines monopoly territories hubs. There are no nonstop flights to Asia from Denver (yet). I managed to get the Singapore Airlines nonstop flight from LAX to Singapore on the way out (via a US Airways codeshare for $800--who knew?), but coming back from Tokyo is murder. The absolute cheapest is $2200 on US Airways (well, codeshares with a bunch of others). My mom used to do this trick when my brother lived in Boston, where she'd book a roundtrip ticket, which was substantially lower than a one-way, and never complete the return trip. I may look into that.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I just checked JAL (Japan air) for departure locations... Denver is one of the US departure sites...

Linky

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Sure, they say Denver, but you have to connect in LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA, or YVR to get to Asia on any airline.

6. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I hate United Airlines.......

$2200! :eek: That seems like WAY too much money!