Airline Carryon Rules?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ee99ee, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Can I carry-on two backpacks on Delta and American Airlines without any extra fees? I'm going to be traveling all over the US for the next few weeks and I have several plane rides. I want to take a medium-sized backpack with clothes and personal items, and I want my normal laptop backpack for taking with me when I'm out running around at each location I'll be at. I COULD fit all my clothes and backpack into one larger backpack, but I don't want to carry a huge backpack as my laptop bag.

Do you think I'll be able to have the medium backpack for clothes as my carry-on item, and have my laptop backpack counted as a "personal item"? I'm flying mostly on Delta, but also American Airlines.

-Chris

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They don't really care to begin with what your two pieces are as long as they fit the restrictions. Oddly, what you will find is the desk agents don't care, rather it's the hired security people that check you before you go through TSA that say that "you have to check this." That being said, I have one piece of luggage, that is just over the restrictions, carried it on well over 25 times, only once have I been stopped.

3. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Well, both of them together are under the size and weight restrictions. The medium backpack I'm using for clothes isn't that large, and the laptop backpack also isn't that large. I guess I'll just have to try and hope I get lucky.

-Chris

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm thinking you will be fine. If they are both within the restrictions you are fine.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You really should check with the airline themselves. You can start with their websites which will give you the restrictions. However, be aware that all things vary from airport to airport with the local implementation of the rules.

Nothing you hear on this website will matter when a gate agent tells you "no".

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]