Airline charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark1958, Aug 29, 2008.

1. mark1958 macrumors newbie

I know one can purchase an airline power cord with the magnetic end for the macpro powerbookd but are there any power supplies that will charge the battery as well as supply power to the notebook? These were readily available for the older mac powerbooks. The issue is getting one with the magnetic connection.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MagSafe airline adapter is available, but it will only power the computer, not charge the batteries.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is not enough voltage/amperage (Wattage) supplied by the airplane to charge the computer.

TEG

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Business class or some premium-economy class on some airlines have standard outlets that would charge with your standard power adapter.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

But the "airline" power plugs only supply 15v. If they have regular power sockets, then good on them.

TEG

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the price of the business class seats. It'd be cheaper to buy 5 additional batteries and hire someone to carry it for me.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

True.

He's thinking about charging battery, and I am offering the option that will let him charge the battery.

Actually business class are typically few times economy tickets. I been on some trips where the tickets are around $7500, a lot more than a few batteries. And no, I am not paying that out of my pocket thankfully.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I just flew from Vancouver to San Francisco to Aukland to Sydney via Air New Zealand and was planning on buying that adapter for my laptop. Good thing I looked into it because there were NO plugins in Economy or Economy Plus....you had to be in the business class to plug your laptop in.

Glad I didn't buy the adapter.

9. mark1958 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments. I am a 1K flier on United and I do understand the options during international flights. When i fly international I am usually in Business or First. The issue is for most of the domestic flights business and first do not have the regular plugs for the charger. Mark