macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
FL

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
This is very old news, I remember the MD of Ryaniar mentioning this when he was being interviewed by BBC news in March last year. Yanks, do keep up :p

Edit - yg17 just types faster than me.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
FL
1) Old proposal made new by the airline actually publishing it in the inflight magazine (read article)
2) Topical because it's on the heels of the carry-on bag charge by Spirit

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
They proposed it last year and it was a publicity stunt, now they might actually be serious.
This is very old news, I remember the MD of Ryaniar mentioning this when he was being interviewed by BBC news in March last year. Yanks, do keep up :p

Edit - yg17 just types faster than me.
Yeah, I remember it last year too, but it still reeks of a stunt. They always want to drum up some publicity.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, I remember it last year too, but it still reeks of a stunt. They always want to drum up some publicity.
Perhaps. If they go through with this, I hope someone takes a **** right there in the aisle. This is ridculous.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I don't think even Ryanair will actually do this - even though they've got their reputation as the worlds most downmarket airline to maintain.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
People will just go to a corner and piss into cups. The use of empty plastic cups on flights will rise dramatically, resulting in an increase of a completely different kind of waste.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I do not get why everyone gets so riled up about unbundling. If they want to charge to use the bathroom, fine. No one gets upset about other places that charge for bathrooms.

I love that mainstream news organizations try to rile people up about this, when the average person never even goes near an airplane in a given year.

I am ALL FOR charging fees for carryon bags, and I hope all of the airlines do this. It would be wonderful to board a flight where most people do not have carryons, and you can get on/off faster. I would be happy to pay for the privilege not to have to check bags.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
What if that special moment comes along for some guy that takes Cialas, and he wants to join the mile high club? Do you think they would charge double almost like hotels do for double occupancy?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Bit odd that CNN are reporting this today.. wonder what gives. The proposal is months old. But yeah, it's true, and when you really look at it, it seems like a decent idea - though I'd love to know how they work emergencies into it, such as people being sick.. guess in that case the staff just let you in for free.

Think about it, when you take a bus you don't pee your pants. This is only for sub 1hr journeys so it can work out.