Airline power adapter or cable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by twynne, Apr 19, 2015.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

As the magsafe adapter will clearly no longer work, has anyone found a solution as yet for powering the new Macbook from an airline seat? Would a cable alone work (ie. USB to USB-C) or is there some adapter that would allow the 29W adapter to be plugged into an airline seat?

Thanks!

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

From what I read a USB port will not have enough power to charge a rMB. I have a USB-C to USB adapter, but from everything I've read USB charging ports do no output enough power to charge this laptop.

3. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - that's what I expected. So that suggests the in-seat power is the only option. Has anyone heard of an adapter for airline that provides a USB-C port on the 'device' end?

4. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I've wondered about this. Has anyone tested this, or found exact specifications on the minimum current needed to charge the MB?

5. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Standard USB ports do not have the oomph to charge it, but iPad class USB ports appear to be able to. It may still hit the battery some during use, but it'll be able to charge decently while powered off and at least extend the life while powered on. I've got an A-C cable coming this week and am looking forward to testing whether or not it can maintain power during the day off my iPad charger at the office.

6. dyt1983, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.

7. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

This sounds plausible. It reminds me what happens if you connect an iPad to a lower-power USB outlet: it can charges slowly when the iPad is off, but not if you are using the iPad.