Airmac Express or Extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidlv, Aug 5, 2009.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I am a longtime Mac user, but I have little or close to no knowledge about networking. Thinking about adding a Macbook Pro to supplement my Powermac G5, I realized I don't know which base station I will need to run the laptop wireless. Already have a router (10/100 base) connected to an ADSL modem. Would the cheaper Express be enough to connect the laptop on wireless? Thanks in advance.

2. jhb84058 macrumors newbie

3. AMessy macrumors member

Yes, I've used the original Airport Express for 5 years now, no problems.

4. SingaporeStu macrumors regular

Most assuredly, yes. Its the best wireless router I've ever had. Plus the built-in print server works beautifully, much better than my previous SMC. However, just curious: how are you currently connecting your PowerMac G5?

If wirelessly, no problem.

If via LAN cable from your current router, then you may have a problem. The Airport Express only has 1 LAN/ WAN port, and in the configuration you describe, its meant to be hooked up to your ADSL modem. You might want to consider an external wireless LAN USB adapter in this case.

Don't forget to install the wireless-N enabler on your new MacBook Pro. It's on the CD that comes with your Airport Express.

Enjoy!

5. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies! Presently connected to the router via ethernet cable, router connected to the ADSL 12Mb modem. Best solution for me would be to hook up the Express to the router and use it as a wireless connection point only. with the router suppling the DHCP addresses. Is that possible? I would assume so, but I haven't read the link given above yet.
    Best regards:p

6. AMessy macrumors member

Yes, I've done what you are describing, using a router before the AE to connect computers via Ethernet.

7. AMessy macrumors member

The new MacBook Pros already have Wireless-N, the enabler is for the models like the Rev B MacBooks which came with Wirelss-G but could be upgraded to Wireless-N via the Enabler. There is a small charge to get the firmware from Apple but they also package it with their Wireless-N routers.

If the OP buys a new MBP he will not have to use the enabler with the AirPort Express.

8. SingaporeStu macrumors regular

Oh, that's news to me. I always thought Apple computers (except Mac Pro) have been N-capable since some time ago, they just wanted you to pay to enable it, or get one of their routers. This was the case with my early 2009 MacBook White. It definitely had wireless-N hardware, but Apple didn't automatically enable it. But if he doesn't have to use the enabler now, so much the better.

As for putting the router in-between the ADSL modem and the AE, yeah I've done that before. After a while it was pointless for me, but it worked. Do remember to disable the wireless on the old router, though, so it only acts as a switch. I say add wireless to your PowerMac because its 1 power socket freed up for me (wireless adapter draws power from USB). Plus, I can relocate stuff around the room/ house at whim without cabling worries. Anyway your ADSL maxes out at 12Mbps, so it matters little if you use wireless G, N or ethernet, as long as you get a stable connection.

Oh, and if your house isn't so large, you might want to turn down the power output on the AE so it doesn't get so hot... Its easy to do from the Airport Utility.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy!