Airort Extreme fails to copy multiple files

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Robbks, May 8, 2011.

1. Robbks macrumors newbie

G'day all, I'veseen this problem come up a lot across the forums and blogs, but none of the solutions fix my current issue.

My issue is that I have a external HDD (2TB Seagate) connected via the USB port of my Airport Extreme.
    This is connected via Ethernet to my PC (yes, windows... :eek::eek: )

The issue is i can copy any files and folders from the PC to the HDD (NAS) individually. or i can copy a single folder with multiple files with no issues.
    The issue is when there will be multiple folders or sub-folders created,
    Windows will halt the copy and return the following error
    "Cannot Create or Replace (__insret folder name here__) Cannot read from the source file or disk"

Now, if i directly connect my HDD to teh USB port on the PC, there is no problem.
    So this excludes any issues with file permissions on the drives
    I also appears to remove and hardware issue with the Airport, as i can copy the individual folders (and contents) with no issues.

Below is a list of hardware and setup profiles i'm using

PC Running Windows XP SP3.
    Connected via Ethernet to Airport Extreme.
    Firewalls and Antivirus disabled for the purposes of testing.
    Brand New (April 2011) Airport Extreme, latest firmware.
    Configured in Bridged mode. (DSL Modem/ Router assignes IP addresses via DHCP)
    HDD is brand new Seagate Expansion 2TB
    Formatted as FAT32 (as recommended by Apple for use on Windows machines)
    Disk is Shared and Secured “With base station password” in Disk Setup Options.

Anyone shed some light on possible issues?
    I have a number of media boxes throughout my home (Beyonwiz, WD HDTV Live, etc) and they can all see and play the files across the network sucessfully.

All i caqn think of is windows has issues with the security of the Airport and is trying to copy data while the Airport is still doing security checks.

As for why Apple will not introduce NTFS support to the the Airport Extreme, that's a completely different argument

2. Robbks thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue solved

download trial version of MacDrive (or finde a mate with a Mac)
    Reformat drive to HFS+
    plug into AirPort Extreme
    everything works fine.

the only issue is without MacDrive, the disk cannot be read/ written to on a windows machine.
    but as my use is purely as a NAS Drive, it's no problem.

write speeds are 4x faster than they were previously and no copying erorrs.

3. mplaisance macrumors newbie

hey

glad to see you fixed the problem. I have a friend with an Airport Extreme with a NAS and a Windows Box. Seem to be having the same issue. So this the only fix and how long was your Trial Version good for? And how has it been working for you?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you should be able to reformat the drive with it plugged into the airport extreme, and not have to use macdrive on windows. this will erase everything on the drive so make sure you backup first. (don't have an extreme, but should be with the erase disk function)

you won't be able to read/write the drive if it's directly plugged into a windows machine without macdrive, but it will work fine plugged into the airport.

on a network share, drive formats only matter to what they are directly connected to. that box (the extreme) then translates that to a network protocol that your computer can understand.