Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rachel Keller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
okay! So I have spent about a week trying to get this fixed and to no resolve. So, PLEASE help me!

I have: MacBook 13-inch 2010
I have AppleTV Generation 3 connected
I have installed Mountain Lion to update it to 10.8
I have downloaded the trial version of AirParrot
I have opened all required ports
I am logged into iTunes
Home sharing is turned ON to both the TV and the MacBook
Wifi is on the same networks to both the TV and the MacBook
Firewall is off
Bluetooth is off
Both the Computer and the Apple TV have been restarted.
Control Panel/ Display "Show Mirroring Options in the menu bar when available" box is checked
Air Parrot Message says "Not Connected" and "Searching Devices"

The question is why can I not see my computer on the Apple TV?
Do I need to also download the reflector as well?
What am I missing?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I don't have my Mac anymore and I've never used AirParrot, but do you have airplay enabled on the ATV3?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
okay! So I have spent about a week trying to get this fixed and to no resolve. So, PLEASE help me!

I have: MacBook 13-inch 2010
I have AppleTV Generation 3 connected
I have installed Mountain Lion to update it to 10.8
I have downloaded the trial version of AirParrot
I have opened all required ports
I am logged into iTunes
Home sharing is turned ON to both the TV and the MacBook
Wifi is on the same networks to both the TV and the MacBook
Firewall is off
Bluetooth is off
Both the Computer and the Apple TV have been restarted.
Control Panel/ Display "Show Mirroring Options in the menu bar when available" box is checked
Air Parrot Message says "Not Connected" and "Searching Devices"

The question is why can I not see my computer on the Apple TV?
Do I need to also download the reflector as well?
What am I missing?
Have you tried emailing AirParrot TS? I found them to be pretty responsive.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
yes, 3 days ago and no response. I suppose I could try again.
They should have responded...their bad!

Can I ask, are you wanting this app for streaming movies, internet videos, just wanting to see your desktop, do presentations, etc?

Rachel Keller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
They should have responded...their bad!

Can I ask, are you wanting this app for streaming movies, internet videos, just wanting to see your desktop, do presentations, etc?

We just want to mirror our computer. we tried other methods but we have decided to do it through Apple TV.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
and are you sure both are on same Wi-fi and that you're not using a trial but the full version right? on the top right corner it should allow you to mirror.. thats strange

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
At one point I had some issues with Airplay on my ATV2, I don't recall having issues with it on the ATV3, but the fix on my ATV2 was part of an iOS update.

Restart the ATV, restart the Mac, try a direct ethernet connection to the hub/switch/router?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
We just want to mirror our computer. we tried other methods but we have decided to do it through Apple TV.
That's good because AirParrot is less than ideal for streaming movies and I would have suggested Beamer if that's what you were going for.

I really don't have a clue as to why AirParrot is not finding your devices but I would guess it must be a firewall issue (either Mac and/or router) as the other things you have set are all in order. Reflector is not needed to mirror from a Mac. Sorry I can't be of more help.

----------

and are you sure both are on same Wi-fi and that you're not using a trial but the full version right? on the top right corner it should allow you to mirror.. thats strange
Trial version should work...shouldn't it? That's why you use a trial version, so you know it works before you buy.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Close AirParrot, wait a few minutes, and then re-open it (The waiting part is important). Make sure you don't have any firewalls (software or hardware) and make sure iTunes can see your Apple TV as an Airplay devices.

If this doesn't solve the problem, your computer is unable to see your AppleTV. Be sure both devices are connected to the same network and have an IP address that's in the same subnet. Your network must also allow Bonjour and mDNS services.

Source: http://support.airsquirrels.com/article.php?id=13

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
That's good because AirParrot is less than ideal for streaming movies and I would have suggested Beamer if that's what you were going for.

I really don't have a clue as to why AirParrot is not finding your devices but I would guess it must be a firewall issue (either Mac and/or router) as the other things you have set are all in order. Reflector is not needed to mirror from a Mac. Sorry I can't be of more help.

----------

Trial version should work...shouldn't it? That's why you use a trial version, so you know it works before you buy.

i heard trial its only 5 minutes.. but yeah that has nothing to do with connecting with the apple tv

Rachel Keller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
i heard trial its only 5 minutes.. but yeah that has nothing to do with connecting with the apple tv

I tried to troubleshoot it using my ipad and my airplay button isn't showing up which tells me all the ports that should be open probably are not open. I have let my boss know that is my diagnosis and we will see if that works. I will keep you posted. As for AirParrot... the trial is 20 minutes long. Once the trail ends, you have to wait 20 more minutes before running the trial again.

I also sent Airparrot another email and what do you know... they got back to me very quickly this time... I assume my first email got lost in the shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.