Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaCenturia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Singapore
Hello people, I am kind of new here and I am not sure if I'd put this in the right category...but anyways, I am looking for an AirParrot substitute because I have run some tests on it and found that movies I played through AirParrot to my HDTV via my ATV3 is quite choppy and the audio is unsatisfactory. I am not sure if AirParrot's quality is lower than Apple's Airplay mirroring, but I am looking for something better than AirParrot in terms of performance, video and audio-wise.

Note that I am using a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro so I cannot use AirPlay mirroring.

Any suggestions like an Airplay Mirroring exploit/bypass/hack/port or AirParrot substitute?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Having both the AppleTV and the Mac wired instead of wireless tends to make streaming a bit smoother.

That said, I've really tried to make AirParrot perform good enough for me, but regrettably failed. I really like the functionality and the interface, but the video quality is too low, and the playback not smooth enough throughout a video.

As for alternatives, you could give Beamer a try if playing movies is enough.

AlphaCenturia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Singapore
My main intent on having AirParrot is to stream content wirelessly so that I can play movies for my guests to watch while hiding in my room. I have both a VGA and HDMI adapter for my macbook pro, and the idea of going wireless fell upon me once I got to know ML brings in Airplay mirroring for Mac. But utterly disappointed when my model doesn't support it.

I'll try Beamer later on and I'll get back here for any updates.

Update: itickings, thanks for te Beamer. I saw the Beamer page and it looks convincing. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.