Airparrot with RemoteHD

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ATV1, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ATV1 macrumors newbie

i have a apple tv 1st gen and i see that my computer can airplay to the apple tv sing airparrot, because a message pops up telling me to buy the ios app to activate RemoteHD, has anyone else tried this, i don't know if i want to buy the app

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

The jailbreak for the gen 1 Apple TV requires you to buy remote HD to enable airplay on the ATV. Not sure why other then to get $$$ from users, but it does work.

3. ATV1 thread starter macrumors newbie

im willing to spend $8, thank you

4. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

but does AirParrot work with a remoteHD enabled ATV1?

5. SoCalMac macrumors newbie

I can't get the two to work together and just now wrote to AirParrot Support to see if they know about this. I have paid, current versions of both products.

I've have RemoteHD helper installed on 1st Gen ATV for years where it works great with the RemoteHD iOS app. Even better, my iPhone 4S lists the 1st Gen ATV among available devices on our home network AND it streams video to it beautifully. Frankly, RemoteHD is worth the money just for its ATV helper app that enables AirPlay support on the 1st ATV; we use AirPlay on the 1st Gen ATV way more than RemoteHD itself. We've also had AirParrot installed almost from the beginning, it works great with our 2nd Gen ATV and we love it, too. They have outstanding support.

Oddly, after years with these products we never tried to stream to the 1st Gen ATV until today.

Although AirParrot works flawlessly with my 2007 MacBook Pro core 2 duo running Mountain Lion to mirror or extend my desktop onto the TV using AirParrot to our 2nd Gen ATV, when selecting the 1st Gen ATV from among the Devices listed in the AirParrot menu on the MacBook Pro, AirParrot displays the follow message in the menu bar on the Mac, "Connection blocked."

:( So, no AirPlay (at least not yet) from the Mac to the 1st Gen ATV, even though it works great coming from the iPhone and the old ATV displays among other devices in our AirParrot's Device list.

6. SoCalMac macrumors newbie

I contacted the cool folks at AirParrot Support who schooled me on the protocols involved. The exec summary is no mirroring with 1st Gen ATV.

• AirPlay Streaming and AirPlay Mirroring are two different protocols.
    • 1st Gen ATV streaming works: As expected, audio and video streaming to the 1st Gen ATV running RemoteHD work fine from the Mac and iPhone.
    • The 1st Gen ATV doesn't support mirroring, and the RemoteHD helper doesn't add that capability.
    • 2nd Gen ATV streaming & mirroring work: Desktop mirroring works great with our 2nd Gen ATV using AirParrot and OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion (and the earlier 10.7 Lion).
    My hope was to mirror my (early 2008 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo) MacBook Pro screen using AirParrot onto our 1st Gen ATV as well as our 2nd ATV. I assumed at first that mirroring via AirParrot might also work with the 1st Gen ATV since both devices show up in AirParrot's menu in the list of Devices. I guess that's just some side effect, maybe resulting from how the 1st Gen ATV is advertising its AirPlay capabilities on the network and "tricking" AirParrot into thinking it's a possible mirroring target. When I select it, the response back from AirParrot is "AirPlay: Connection Blocked."