Airplane mode overnight but iMessage used 3% for background activity?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Kendo, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

How is this possible that it lost 4% in airplane mode overnight? Also, Kakao (another messenger app) also used 3% for background activity?

Attached Files:

2. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Did you use Airplane "overnight" or twenty four hours?

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I have two thoughts on this. First, the usage that you're showing is the past 24 hours, so it could include usage from before you put it in airplane mode.

Additionally, just putting the phone in airplane mode doesn't stop the apps from running. iMessage and Kakao don't know that the phone is in airplane mode, so they probably still have some background activity to periodically check for messages even though they can't get out to the internet. 3 and 4% strikes me as a little high for that, but I would also expect it to be more than 0%.

4. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Do you usually answer questions with a question? That's not how here works. It's abundantly clear they meant overnight. If they mean over 24 hours, guess what they would have said? You got it, 24hrs. To simplify it for you even more; during airplane mode, overnight, 3% of battery was used by iMessage. Think you have it now?

OP, I've had my battery stay at 100% overnight and at other times drop about 4%. It's very odd.

5. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

Perhaps they are making requests to update but failing since its on airplane mode (bad design)

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd ask if you've ever heard of rhetorical questions, but doing so may be too many layers of meta, even for me.

7. BrettDS macrumors 65816

This is not possible to know. The 3% number is 3% of the battery usage for the past 24 hours, not 3% of the battery usage overnight. (Just to make it perfectly clear to you, if it had meant "Battery usage overnight" then the heading would have read "Overnight" and not "Past 24 hours". Think you have it now?)

There is no way to tell how much of the battery was used by iMessage during the first part of the 24 hour period and how much was used 'overnight'

I'm sure this is the reason that the question was asked. Not everyone here speaks English as a first language and sometimes things are lost in translation.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think you are out of line here. He was merely asking a simple question to verify. The OP was concerned why 3% was used overnight but that's clearly not the case because the battery stats show over the course of the previous 24 hours and not just overnight. So the OP does not even have a valid post stating that it used 3% overnight when in fact it used 3% over the last 24 hours.

I would have asked the same exact question to verify what the OP was asking because obviously something isn't adding up.

9. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I don't get why they don't ban guys like this.

It's clear why he asked the OP the question since it's not possible to tell if the battery drain actually came from the time period prior to turning on airplane mode.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It's sort of hard to tell what's being asked here...

Just thought I'd chime in by saying the percentages listed in the battery usage section are the percentage of the amount used in that period, not of the total battery. Messages didn't bring your battery down by 3% in 24 hours, it was responsibile for 3% of battery usage in 24 hours.

e.g. If you went from 100% to 50% with no charging in 24 hours and you then checked your battery usage, if Messages had 3% next to it then Messages would have brought your battery down 1.5%.