airplane mode turns off the phone feature right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Keebler, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

hi folks,

I realize this may be a real dumb question, but I need to know - by turning on the airplane mode, this blocks any calls or essentially turning the iphone into an ipod touch right?

I forgot to ask last week and i'm donating blood platelets tomorrow which is a 2-3 hour procedure once all is said and done.

I'd like to watch a flick, but in case they don't want cell phones being on, I'm trying to decided whether or not to bring my iphone or a portable dvd player.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes, airplane mode does shut off the phone feature. The airplane mode basically turns off all the radios in the iPhone.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

perfect. thank you.

4. erpbridge macrumors newbie

That brings up an interesting question for 3.0... will Airplane mode turn off Bluetooth A2DP streaming?

Hmmm....

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, that's the point of Airplane mode. NO external communications.

6. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

That's very interesting though, I was allowed to use In-Flight Wi-Fi with my iPhone and laptop before. The iPhone was on airplane mode and I was able to enable Wi-Fi, don't you know that?

There was even an airline that offers cell phone usage but the FAA bans it so its only working in Europe.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, you can go back and turn wifi on while airplane mode is on, but the point is that turning on airplane mode turns the wifi off in the first place.

The question was "will it turn off bluetooth?"

And yes, it will turn off bluetooth. It will turn off wifi. The fact that you can then go back and turn them on again isn't the point; by turning on airplane mode, those things all do get turned off at once.