Airplane power adapter for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdiamond, May 8, 2014.

1. jdiamond macrumors 6502

While true AC power outlets are rare on Airplanes, the two prong standard DC outlets are fairly common, and offer 15 volts and 75 watts - enough to power any Macbook Pro.

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to create an adapter from airplane DC to Magsafe adapter? Or some other work around, e.g., DC to AC?

Thanks for any ideas. As rare as such things are, there are SO MANY Apple users that I am hopeful someone has a solution.

Thanks.
    - Jeff

2. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Doesn't apple make a airplane charger? I remember they used to at least, don't know if that's what your looking for.

3. 5to1 macrumors regular

Do you mean the empower sockets?

When they first came out I just bought an adaptor/inverter on the flight (BA). Cant remember how much it was, I'm sure BA charged a nice premium, but I was on corporate expenses at the time :D

Sorry I don't have it here with me so I can't give you the model/manufacturer, its at my other house with all my travel stuff, but its worked fine for years. And since it gives you an AC socket, is more versatile then laptop specific ones. For example I've had dozens of different machines since then.

4. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I think ebay might be your best bet (although there's probably some knockoffs, so do your homework). It looks like Apple sold one called the "MagSafe Airline Adapter", but has since been discontinued. It's designed to power, but not charge your computer: http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA396/ko_KR/MagSafe_Airline_Adapter.pdf

I'm guessing it was discontinued due to poor sales and improved battery life on MacBooks...

Apple also sells this now, which probably is what they're pushing people towards: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW696LL/A

5. skinny*k macrumors regular

ecschwarz, your link took me to Bose earplugs at the Apple Store; could you describe the product that you meant, or provide a better link?

Thanks.

6. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

That's really weird - I just clicked on it (US store) and it took em to the correct item. Nonetheless, the product is the "Kensington Auto/Air Power Inverter with USB Ports" for $49.95.

7. eneisch macrumors 6502a

That's funny. I was going to reply to this thread with the same link from Apple's website. When I previewed the post and tested the link it also took me to the Bose headphones page! I got frustrated and decided to cancel the post :confused:.

8. skinny*k macrumors regular

Thanks, but, umm... but that won't power or charge any MacBook. :(

9. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Why not? It has a normal AC outlet and USB ports:

Overview
    Simply plug the Kensington Auto/Air Power Inverter with USB Ports into your vehicle's power port or an airline power outlet (Empower) and you're ready to charge and power up your Mac notebook and two other devices simultaneously. With 150 watts of peak power in a super thin design you'll have all the power you need wherever your travels take you.

Highlights
    • Ultra-compact design fits easily in a notebook case or a vehicle glove box
    • Provides up to 150 watts of wall power to run your notebook, portable DVD player and more
    • Two USB power ports to charge your mobile/smart phone, iPod, PDA or other device
    • Automatic safety shutdown protects your devices from changes in power

Apple Recommends For
    Keeping your MacBook or MacBook Pro at full power no matter how you're traveling—whether in the car or on a plane.

10. skinny*k macrumors regular

Oops! I stand corrected; I had missed the 110 outlet of the inverter! :eek:

For the price, I think that this is far better than the old airline adapter.

11. 5to1 macrumors regular

Thats similar to the inverter/adapter I was talking about, which I bought on a BA flight when they first came out. Since then I've swapped laptops several times, if I'd bought a laptop specific adapter I'd have bought dozens by now, instead I can use that with all my laptops. Mine also has an adapter to plug it into a car.

To be honest though, as battery laptop life has improved and I've started using my iPad/Phone for music/gaming on flights, I rarely need in flight power now.

12. TechiEmmanuel macrumors member

TechiEmmanuel

My dad charges his MacBook Pro Retina in his car with the Kensington Auto/Air Inverter, purchased at the Apple Store. It's built and works well. Only downside is SLOW iPad charging over USB.