airplane travel with 17 vs 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Dec 2, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

The 13 is out of the question. I need more resolution. I find it hard to work on anything less than the native 17 res, but I travel alot and need to work on planes. Can anyone comment on the 15 vs 17 on airplanes?

2. alawrence101 macrumors member

Do you fly economy? Because I do, and I can barely fit my 15". I can't imagine trying to work with anything bigger on a plane.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

^^Agreed. If you fly coach don't even bother with a 17".

4. jarinehart macrumors newbie

Over the summer I took a trip on Midwest with my 17" mbp and popped it open on the table and watched a movie. Of course, I am a little skinny dude and didn't have to worry about belly space.

5. skuzzy macrumors member

You should be fine on a 17" unless you are flying a super duper low cost airline which tries to jam like 800 people into a 737-200.

6. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

look at the actual footprint difference...

Yeah, for serious. The 17" feels a lot bigger, but the footprint is only 1.3" wider and 0.8" longer. That's basically an inch in either direction, with identical thickness. Hardly a massively larger footprint. If you can fit a 15" MBP on a plane, you can fit the 17" MBP on that same plane. But, weight is a different issue. In my opinion weight is the deciding factor of the portability difference between the 15" and the 17".

-Ado

7. HDproducer macrumors member

My 17" sometimes seems like a lot to lug around, But I need the screen space. If you really need the 17" screen then get it, but if you can work on the 15" I think that will be better for you.

I have the 17" for editing while returning from locations shots, and I have had a hard time on some flights, an extra 1" would have made a big difference. I say to more you travel, the lighter you want to go.

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I find it difficult to use my 15" on an airplane in coach. I travel once or twice a month either domestically or internationally. I personally would not be able to use the 17" on an airplane. You can't push the screen too close the seat in front of you. When they recline it can crunch your screen. If working efficiently while you travel is important then consider a smaller laptop and an external screen when at work/home.

9. steeveage macrumors member

15" Ftw

I have personally used a 17" MBP in coach on various airlines (Southwest, United, etc) and it just doesn't work. While the footprint may be only slightly larger, remember that it makes the screen that much larger as well, which means the base will have to slide closer to you to achieve the proper viewing angle since the screen will hit the back of the seat in front of you. This makes for a very cramped user experience.

And if the person in front of you decides to lean back and take a nap, forget about it. The only way it will work if it is on your lap, not on the tray table.

10. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

after survey on numerous forums both travel and computer.... the ideal size is actually a 14 inch screen it seems. Far and away the best compromise. Both the 15 and 17 have been deemed as too big for a variety of reasons.
    Looks like I better get used to the 13.3 resolution. Thanks to all.

Remember, this is for work, not play on a plane. Several people said you can watch a movie on a 15 or even a 17, but when it comes down to 2-4 hours of office work, it is more difficult.... a 13.3 sounds like the best mac for travel...

I have a 12" lenovo, which is a great computer also, but really the screen is tough to do real work on.