Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's AirPlay 2 and HomeKit features have been rolling out to a number of smart TVs, and as of today, the functionality is available on 2020 Toshiba and Insignia 4K UHD Smart Fire TVs.

insignia-fire-tv.jpg

AirPlay 2 is designed to allow iPhone, iPad, and Mac users to stream content to an AirPlay-compatible device, and with built-in support in Toshiba and Insignia TVs, an Apple TV is not required to use AirPlay 2.

AirPlay 2 also works across multiple devices for a whole home audio experience, and can be used for streaming TV shows, music, photos, and more to the television set.

With HomeKit, smart TV owners can control their television through Siri voice commands or through the Home app on iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Siri and the Home app can be used to turn the TV on or off, adjust the volume, and switch the TV input to another device.

To use HomeKit, the TV needs to be added as a HomeKit accessory, which can be done by going to the Settings menu on the TV, selecting Display and Sounds, and choosing the AirPlay and HomeKit option. From there, instructions are available on the setup process.

AirPlay and HomeKit are available on the Toshiba 4K UHD Smart Fire TV with Dolby Vision (2020 model) and the Insignia 4K UHD Smart Fire TV (2020 model).

Article Link: AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Available on 2020 Toshiba and Insignia Fire TVs

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
This is real differentiation. I am shopping now and Airplay 2 was a requirement. I hope the implementation is easy.

Reactions: apparatchik

Jarutais

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2020
I've got an LG with Airplay 2 and Apple TV+ support. I wonder if they can update it to support Spatial Audio?

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
This is real differentiation. I am shopping now and Airplay 2 was a requirement. I hope the implementation is easy.
I suspect you'll be much happier, overall, if you get the TV you want based on picture/sound quality and run it 100% with Apple TV attached on HDMI1 (meaning the AirPlay 2 feature is irrelevant; just AirPlay to the aTV)
As an experiment I tried using apps like Prime on my LG and the whole experience was just awful compared to sticking with aTV all the time.

The HomeKit is mildly useful insofar as you can hook it up (at least I do) to auto power down the TV when I leave home, then restart it when I return; but even that can be done just as well using a SmartPlug, which was what I used to do before the LG.

Last edited:

Jammyb

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
I suspect you'll be much happier, overall, if you get the TV you want based on picture/sound quality and run it 100% with Apple TV attached on HDMI1 (meaning the AirPlay 2 feature is irrelevant; just AirPlay to the aTV)
As an experiment I tried using apps like Prime on my LG and the whole experience was just awful compared to sticking with aTV all the time.

The HomePlay is mildly useful insofar as you can hook it up (at least I do) to auto power down the TV when I leave home, then restart it when I return; but even that can be done just as well using a SmartPlug, which was what I used to do before the LG.

This. Don’t pick a telly on it’s smart features. Buy the TV with the best PQ you can afford.

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014

The HomePlay is mildly useful insofar as you can hook it up (at least I do) to auto power down the TV when I leave home, then restart it when I return; but even that can be done just as well using a SmartPlug, which was what I used to do before the LG.
Hi, does your LG support Airplay?

Mine does but Airplaying videos tends to be jumpy, with sound cutting. I'm curious if Airplay works better on Apple TV compared to the builtin Airplay of the LG?

Also do you notice a difference of the video quality between the two in general?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
HomeKit/Siri supported Televisions do NOT enable volume control via Siri or the Home app. Only power and input.

You can, however, control volume using the remote control feature in the iPhone’s Control Center if you select that TV, which does show up in there.

• Sad
Reactions: Luke MacWalker

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Hi, does your LG support Airplay?

Mine does but Airplaying videos tends to be jumpy, with sound cutting. I'm curious if Airplay works better on Apple TV compared to the builtin Airplay of the LG?

Also do you notice a difference of the video quality between the two in general?
In principle it does. It practice after concluding using the built-in apps sucked, I had no reason to ever bother with the AirPlay. Why wouldn't I just AirPlay to the aTV?

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
In principle it does. It practice after concluding using the built-in apps sucked, I had no reason to ever bother with the AirPlay. Why wouldn't I just AirPlay to the aTV?
I don't have an Apple TV myself, only asking because I am considering buying one for Airplay and potentially a bit of gaming, and hoping to get my moneys worth! But thanks for getting back to me.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I don't have an Apple TV myself, only asking because I am considering buying one for Airplay and potentially a bit of gaming, and hoping to get my moneys worth! But thanks for getting back to me.
Ah, OK.

My experience with AirPlaying to the aTV is
- it's not something I have done often
- only with video, never had a reason to do it for music
- the "technical" side has always been fine. Video has been at the quality level I expected, no dropouts I consider unreasonable.

BUT

- at the "protocol" level AirPlay sucks. Specifically it won't hold onto a connection for a long time. The way I watch content is very sporadic -- while I am eating, while I am doing chores like ironing, while I am exercising. This means I watch 5 minutes, pause, and start watching again a day later. This is a horror story for AirPlay, which forgets the connection after, I don't know, 15 minutes? And the sorts of sites where you are forced to use AirPlay because theyd on't offer a decent app are the same sites that lose your place when that AirPlay connection ends.

So, FOR MY USE CASES, AirPlay is something I only resort to under the most dire situations.
If YOUR use is something more like "start the movie, watch for 90 minutes till it is finished, end the movie; maybe with one 2 minute pee break" it might be fine.

Overall I am REALLY happy with aTV. I bought my first one as an experiment a few years ago, and somewhat expected I might be returning it to the Apple store (remember you get two weeks return, no questions asked). But it was an experiment that turned out really well!
But I neither game nor use AirPlay. For me, I use it as the UI for my TV, the way to watch
- Prime and aTV+ (TV+ free for now based on recent Apple purchases :))
- Hoopla and Kanopy (free video services from my library)
- Tubi (IMHO the best by far of the free ad-supported streaming services)
- Peacock (free version)
- Channels DVR (Live TV if you care, and Live TV recording which is what I use, to my mac mini)
- Infuse (local content stored on the mac mini)

Point is, I can get all the content I want (local, live, streaming) via a single UI that I've found far more satisfactory than alternatives. But if you are happy with alternative UI's (built into your TV? Roku box?) aTV may not offer anything much beyond that? I can say that the aTV UI is ridiculously fluid and performant, whereas the alternatives I've tried seem slow and occasionally stuttery, and that's part of the package of "this just feels nicer" than I'm happy to pay for.

Reactions: LMC91

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Ah, OK.

My experience with AirPlaying to the aTV is
- it's not something I have done often
- only with video, never had a reason to do it for music
- the "technical" side has always been fine. Video has been at the quality level I expected, no dropouts I consider unreasonable.

BUT

- at the "protocol" level AirPlay sucks. Specifically it won't hold onto a connection for a long time. The way I watch content is very sporadic -- while I am eating, while I am doing chores like ironing, while I am exercising. This means I watch 5 minutes, pause, and start watching again a day later. This is a horror story for AirPlay, which forgets the connection after, I don't know, 15 minutes? And the sorts of sites where you are forced to use AirPlay because theyd on't offer a decent app are the same sites that lose your place when that AirPlay connection ends.

So, FOR MY USE CASES, AirPlay is something I only resort to under the most dire situations.
If YOUR use is something more like "start the movie, watch for 90 minutes till it is finished, end the movie; maybe with one 2 minute pee break" it might be fine.

Overall I am REALLY happy with aTV. I bought my first one as an experiment a few years ago, and somewhat expected I might be returning it to the Apple store (remember you get two weeks return, no questions asked). But it was an experiment that turned out really well!
But I neither game nor use AirPlay. For me, I use it as the UI for my TV, the way to watch
- Prime and aTV+ (TV+ free for now based on recent Apple purchases :))
- Hoopla and Kanopy (free video services from my library)
- Tubi (IMHO the best by far of the free ad-supported streaming services)
- Peacock (free version)
- Channels DVR (Live TV if you care, and Live TV recording which is what I use, to my mac mini)
- Infuse (local content stored on the mac mini)

Point is, I can get all the content I want (local, live, streaming) via a single UI that I've found far more satisfactory than alternatives. But if you are happy with alternative UI's (built into your TV? Roku box?) aTV may not offer anything much beyond that? I can say that the aTV UI is ridiculously fluid and performant, whereas the alternatives I've tried seem slow and occasionally stuttery, and that's part of the package of "this just feels nicer" than I'm happy to pay for.

Hey, really appreciate the in-depth response!

Airplay for me is more along the lines of showing small clips that were maybe recorded that day, which may only be a few seconds to a few minutes long - general family stuff.

I'll certainly look into those recommended apps you said. And the idea of Infuse sounds like a really handy feature to be able to do!

Unfortunately I don't believe we can try things here and return them as easily as the USA. And also my Apple Store is like 2 hours away sadly.

Currently using just the UI from the TV for the little we do use on demand apps, and the Sky box as the main form of TV watching, which is satellite rather than app based.

But I'm certainly going to have a think about it, thank you very much!

Edit: Just saw another comment on another thread stating the difference between Airplay and Screen Mirroring. I've been Screen Mirroring but after going to my photos/videos and hitting the Share button to Airplay, it seems to be working much better, though it was just a quick test so will see how it goes.

Last edited:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
*laughs in LG OLED*
I've got an LG with Airplay 2 and Apple TV+ support. I wonder if they can update it to support Spatial Audio?
Can you folks share inputs on this Airplay 2 DISPLAY Mirroring/ Extension question here? : Thanks :)

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Edit: Just saw another comment on another thread stating the difference between Airplay and Screen Mirroring. I've been Screen Mirroring but after going to my photos/videos and hitting the Share button to Airplay, it seems to be working much better, though it was just a quick test so will see how it goes.
Do share experiences / insights:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.