Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DTS today announced availability of AirPlay 2 in select DTS Play-Fi products, including the McIntosh RS200 wireless loudspeaker system and the Arcam rPlay music streamer, with support for additional products to be added later this year.

mcintosh-rs200.jpg

AirPlay 2 enables multi-room audio playback with other AirPlay 2 devices, such as the HomePod, Apple TV, and select speakers from Sonos, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, and others. AirPlay 2 devices also appear in the Home app on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch and can be controlled with Siri.

AirPlay is Apple's wireless streaming protocol, enabling users to beam audio from Apple devices like an iPhone or Mac to supported speakers, including content from Apple Music, iTunes, Podcasts, Netflix, YouTube, and elsewhere.

The DTS Play-Fi ecosystem includes more than 200 interoperable speakers, sound bars, set-top boxes, and audio/video receivers from brands such as McIntosh, Arcam, Pioneer, Polk Audio, Klipsch, Soundcast, MartinLogan, Definitive Technology, Phorus, Integra, Onkyo, SVS Sound, and Wren Sound.

DTS Play-Fi products with AirPlay 2 support are also compatible with Alexa.

Article Link: AirPlay 2 Support Rolling Out to Select DTS Play-Fi Products

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Spooky Alexa? Never!
Who doesn't care about privacy and who is forgetful about the little that comes to the public, will buy this stuff.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/24/amazon-alexa-employees-customer-addresses/

I assume, more customers will be won (usual for low-cost products), but: some will also be deterred.
It will be interesting to see which market shares are won and which are lost.

I would be interested in such ratio studies.
Does anyone here have any knowledge about some leaks/pro-investigations?

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Cue the people complaining greedy companies are not making it backwards compatible so they will never buy brand x again lol

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I wish I could Justify McIntosh gear. I didn't even know they were still producing "relevant" non-analog-only tech. I don't think a lot of people appreciate how high quality, artful, and esoteric their gear is. Glass fronts, chrome-plated weight-balanced knobs, vacuum tubes. Crazy cool stuff... with the price tags to match.

McIntosh have to be careful about introducing new tech into their gear. This is equipment you buy for life, not for the next four years.

Go check out their other products (https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/). McIntosh is next-level audiophile swag. /drool

Reactions: I7guy

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I wish I could Justify McIntosh gear. I didn't even know they were still producing "relevant" non-analog-only tech. I don't think a lot of people appreciate how high quality, artful, and esoteric their gear is. Glass fronts, chrome-plated weight-balanced knobs, vacuum tubes. Crazy cool stuff... with the price tags to match.

McIntosh have to be careful about introducing new tech into their gear. This is equipment you buy for life, not for the next four years.

Go check out their other products (https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/). McIntosh is next-level audiophile swag. /drool
Interesting that your description of their stuff is all about how pretty it is and makes no mention of the actual sound quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.