Airplay/Airport Extreme Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by funkeruski, Dec 23, 2011.

1. funkeruski macrumors regular

I have an airport extreme, with a hard drive connected to it for remote access from my laptop. Is it possible to stream videos I have on this hard drive to my iPad using Airplay? I searched a little on Google for the answer, and my head was about to explode I was so lost. Any guidance is appreciated.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No. You need a computer on with iTunes running with the video in its library and sharing the library. Once all that is done, then you can stream/AirPlay the video to your iPad.

3. funkeruski thread starter macrumors regular

Not the answer I was hoping for. Thanks for the info. I could use my laptop, but it's not on all the time. Guess I need a 27 inch iMac now.:eek:

4. 1pad macrumors newbie

So do we :)

It certainly is, been doing that today.

I haven't bought Airplay, so don't know, but it works fine using BuzzPlayer, connecting either via AFP, or SMB, & some other apps we've tried.

We don't have our mac's switched on when we're streaming to iPads, so apps we bought a while ago like Orb, & Air video, we no longer use, as they require a server app running on mac or pc.

HTH.

5. jonnydowe macrumors member

If the hard drive is DNLA compatible (probably is) use an app like Buzz Player and you'll be able to access it.